Immediately closes on launch from origin

by Adoringly

Original Post

Immediately closes on launch from origin

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Go to launch The Sims 3, Origin will minimize and then immediately reopen and give me the option to click play on the sims 3 again. No error messages. 

These are the troubleshooting options I have done so far:

Updated GPU

Cleared origin cache

restarted pc

ran the origin client as admin

disabled origin in-game

ran a repair on the sims 3

added exclusion to security - Malwarebytes

waited for updates for 8 months

also tried the force to window mode (-w)

Message 1 of 16 (743 Views)

Re: Immediately closes on launch from origin

@Adoringly  Please remove your msinfo file from your post; it's more information than should be shared on a public forum.

Your dxdiag crashed in the diagnostics stage, meaning no Windows error reports.  That's fine though: you can find the same information (usually) in the Reliability Monitor.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes, and look for any entries that list Sims 3 or Origin, or any with time stamps corresponding to when you tried to launch the game.  You may need to click on the details to get an accurate timestamp—sometimes the one showing in the initial window is around an hour off.

For each such entry, click "View technical details," copy the information, and paste it into a .txt document.  (Notepad works fine.)  You can attach it as you did your dxdiag.  If you don't find any relevant entries, that's useful information as well.

Please also let me know whether you've recently had two Origin accounts merged, or had games transferred from one account to another.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 16 (729 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Okay, Thank you, The EA customer support guy told me to post the msinfo file after we tried doing everything, I had no idea. Here is the Perfmon you asked for. I never have changed origin accounts or anything, or had two merged. All I know is my game keys are from like 2013 is that matters at all.

Message 3 of 16 (704 Views)

@Adoringly  I don't think the age of the codes matters; a couple of mine were registered in 2011.  The error from the Reliability Monitor suggests this might be a .NET Framework issue.  It's possible version 3.5, which Sims 3 uses, is disabled on your machine, in which case you can just manually enable it.  Hit Windows key-R and enter "appwiz.cpl" without quotes.  In the File Explorer window that opens, click "Turn Windows features on and off, and you'll see this:

Windows features (+.NET).png

.NET 3.5 is in blue, right at the top.  If the box next to it is empty, click to check it, and Windows should download and install it.

If that doesn't help, or if the box is already filled in, try running the .NET repair tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Even though it's not specified, it normally works fine in Windows 10.  If it doesn't help, let me know; if you can't run it, please post the error message you receive.

Message 4 of 16 (696 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Okay so they were already enabled, I ran the repair tool and tried to launch sims 3 and it reopened origin, here is the perfmon /rel of that. 

Message 5 of 16 (692 Views)

@Adoringly  I apologize for the delay.  Since the .NET repair didn't help, try running a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files.  The second one (sfc) covers the newest version of the .NET Framework, which shouldn't be involved in running Sims 3, but the Reliability Monitor errors do reference it.  (That's a bit weird, but it's easy enough to address.)

Here's what to do:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Message 6 of 16 (659 Views)

★★★★ Novice

So I did both because neither of them did anything. They just sat there like that and didn't do anything. 

Message 7 of 16 (617 Views)

@Adoringly  Okay, restart your computer and type "cmd" without quotes into the search box in the lower left corner of your screen.  Command Prompt will show up; be sure to choose the option to Run as Administrator.  Use the same directions to run the same two commands as before, and let me know how it goes.

Message 8 of 16 (604 Views)

★★★★ Novice

so the first one did the same thing, and this is what happened after the /scannow 

Message 9 of 16 (593 Views)

@Adoringly  Well, that's major progress.  Please try to run DISM now that sfc has cleaned up some corruption, then sfc again.  It would be interesting to see whether PowerShell worked this time, so please try that option first, but if it doesn't work, use the Command Prompt again.  In either case, make sure you still choose the Admin option.

Once sfc has run for the second time, you can create a log of the fixes it made.  In Command Prompt (as Admin, as always), please copy and paste this command, and enter:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

The log file will land on your desktop; please upload it here.

Message 10 of 16 (570 Views)