Re: If I uninstall the base sims 3 game, will I lose my expansions?

by Norinia

Original Post

If I uninstall the base sims 3 game, will I lose my expansions?

★★ Novice

I know there is one question asked close to this, but I have a difference to it so I’m asking here.

Okay so recently, my sims 3 game has been crashing recently. Yes I have mods but they worked just fine before. The only recent addition is I added the stuff pack from the vault, I think it’s high end life?  

Anyways, I can’t figure out what is causing it to crash so my last solution is to uninstall the game.

The reason I’m extremely hesitant to do so, is because most, I believe, of my expansions are not on origins. I bought most of them through goodwill and the like, although I do have showtimes, seasons, university life, island paradise, and Into the future on origins if I remember right (I bought two on origins, and found the others new at a Mardin’s, so they should be on origin) 

My question is, will I lose the ones I don’t have on origins if I uninstall the game? It took me a long time to assemble every expansion pack and it would really tick me off if I lose everything because of the first time I installed a stuff pack.

Also for why don’t I just reuse the disc, I’ve been through 3 moves in the past 6 years, so they are unfortunately long gone.

And on the mods part, I don’t care if I lose those, I can just install them again once everything is fixed or if it’s impossible (because nraas) just play without them. 

Message 1 of 3 (263 Views)

@Norinia  If you reinstall entirely through Origin, you won't be able to add any game that's not in your Origin library.  I'm not quite sure what you're saying, though.  Do you have none of the discs at all?  In that case, you'd have no way to reinstall any pack that wasn't registered to your account.

If you do have disc copies of the packs that aren't in Origin, that might be a different story.  I'm actually not completely sure what would happen if you installed those packs via disc and the rest via Origin.  (I know it used to work fine, at least most of the time, but things may have changed since you originally installed.)  It's a risk though; if I were in your position, I'd try to borrow someone else's computer for an hour or so and test it out.

Before you consider uninstalling, though, try a clean game folder.  Pull your entire TS3 folder out of Documents\EA and onto your desktop, and a new one will spawn the next time you launch the game.  Start a new save and play for a bit, testing live mode, CAS, and Edit Town to see whether it crashes.  If not, you can copy one of your saves into the new folder from the old one and test again.

Your NRaas mods are probably not the source of your crashes, although there are some reasons they'd now cause issues.  One is if your game was never fully patched until now—adding the new stuff pack would have brought your game to 1.69.  But at any rate, the clean folder won't have any mods.  If the vanilla game runs fine, you can add some mods into the new game folder and test before copying over your save.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (253 Views)

★★ Novice

I fully patched the game years ago. I’ve had the mods for a few months now with no issues. I just downloaded that stuff pack and now after two times of playing it’s failing so that’s the closest I can identify as the problem. 

What happens is when I start up the game, it will run the intro, then a minute or two of the loading screen will run before the game turns off completely, and origin boots up with the game panel to start it up from within origins pulls out, like when you turn off any other game. 

I hadn’t heard of that file extract method before, so I’m definitely going to try that. Like I said I’ll try everything before I uninstall the game, because that will be a massive pain.

Finally, on the game disc, I have I think one of the newer games, which doesn’t matter since I have it on origins anyways, and I have my original sims 3 game discs (back before I actually had origins started, not even sure if the game library was up then, we lost the game a couple times plus changing computers over the years.) but the rest are gone. The ambitions disc alone was scratched to hell and took a long time to get it clean enough to run. Past that, my parents keep moving things in and out of storage.

Giant disc collection, gone. Hence why I’m trying to use every other method before I trash everything and have to start the hunt again. Origin isn’t exactly running sales on the sims 3 anymore, so that would be hell.

But at least thank you for that file suggestion, I’m going to go try it right now.

Message 3 of 3 (248 Views)