If I buy Sims 4 on steam can I transfer my Origin save games?

by Usless_Vay

Original Post

If I buy Sims 4 on steam can I transfer my Origin save games?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I got the Sims 4 when EA gave it away back in 2019 and have recently started playing it, and I'm loving it.  I'm considering making the switch to Steam as their big summer sale is soon and I would like to get some packs on sale.  I would just need to make sure I can transfer my save data beforehand as I really don't want to loose my current house/household.

Thank you for the help Standard smile

EDIT: I am aware that the DLC on Origin is also on sale, however Digital Deluxe + Cats and Dogs is cheaper by a few dollars then buying Just C&D by itself.

Message 1 of 2 (3,094 Views)

Re: If I buy Sims 4 on steam can I transfer my Origin save games?

@Usless_Vay  Yes, you can use your Origin saves in a Steam-bought game.  You don't even need to "transfer" anything: the two types of installs read the same user folder, as in, the Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts.  So a Steam install will pick up your saves and other content without your needing to do anything at all.

For what it's worth, I'd still pay the extra money to stay with Origin and avoid having to run Steam as well.  I see a lot of threads about the Origin-Steam tie-in not working correctly, or not working all the time, or otherwise interfering with what should be a smooth experience.  In the long term, this is a small price to pay for avoiding all that potential aggravation.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (3,059 Views)