Re: *ISSUE* The Sims 3 Mods Folder - not working.

by jazzmiint

Original Post

★ Apprentice

Okay... I can't seem to find the deviceconfig folder in The Sims 3 folder. But when I search for it, I hover over it and it says Documents/ElectronicArts/TheSims3 but I can't find it in the folder or any of the folders inside that one and so on and so forth. Also I don't know what a live game folder is and the last part about the Mods folder is unclear to me too... "You can just drop the Mods Framework into that folder, delete scriptCache.package (which is where?) and test it (how? do you mean just play the game and see if the intro works or see if they turn up in the folder." Again incredibly sorry and thankful. Maybe there is a visual tutorial I can follow somewhere?

Message 11 of 30 (7,618 Views)

[ Edited ]

@jazzmiint  I can grab some screenshots later, if you still need them.  But I'm in macOS right now, so my current setup wouldn't look the same as yours.  Hopefully a written guide will work, but if it doesn't, let me know.

I thought you were using the Mods framework from Mod the Sims because you mentioned Mod the Sims and expecting to see NoIntro.  These instructions use that framework, but if you're not using it, tell me and I'll write out different instructions.

• Download the Mods framework, right-click on it in your Downloads folder, and select Extract All
  • Move the unzipped Mods folder to your desktop, and make sure it has the correct contents: a resource.cfg file, a Packages folder, and NoIntro.package and NoBuildSparkles.package inside Packages
  • Open a File Explorer window and click on "This PC" in the left sidebar
  • Double-click on Local Disk (C: )
  • Open the Users folder, then the folder with your username, then Documents, then Electronic Arts, then The Sims 3
  • Please check that deviceconfig is inside this folder
  • Move the Mods folder from your desktop into this Sims 3 folder
  • Delete scriptCache.package from this folder
  • Launch your game, and see whether the mods work

If those two mods work, you can download the other mods you want to use, unzip them, and drop them inside Mods\Packages in the same file path listed above.  If those mods don't work, please check the last modified date on the deviceconfig file you saw, and let me know whether the timestamp matches when you opened the game just now.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 30 (7,614 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I managed through the first 5 steps, however I still cannot seem to find the deviceconfig folder or document in The Sims 3 folder. Also not sure about the scriptCache folder or where to find it either. :/

SMHSMH.png

Message 13 of 30 (7,604 Views)

[ Edited ]

@jazzmiint  Don't search, just scroll down, and you'll see both deviceconfig.log and scriptCache.package.  They're both files, not folders.

Here's what my game folder looks like once I scroll down a bit:

TS3 folder.png

You can see the file path in red, and the Mods folder and the two files highlighted in gray.  If you don't find deviceconfig in this folder, then search for it in "This PC" again, right-click on the file, and select Open File Location.  That will take you to the live game folder, and you'll see the correct file path as well.  ("Live" just means the one that Sims 3 is using when it runs.)  This is the same folder as pictured above.

Message 14 of 30 (69,523 Views)

★ Apprentice

So, I realised I was in the wrong user folder, which is my mistake, I have now completed the rest of the steps and am now about to launch my game. YOU WERE A MASSIVE, GREAT, PHENOMENAL HELP AND ARE JUST AMAZING! You have been patient and incredibly kind to me throughout this process and I am extremely thankful!!!!!!! And if it doesn't work now.. well you'll get another email or notification saying I replied with crying emoji faces... yep.

Message 15 of 30 (7,578 Views)

@jazzmiint  I hope the lack of crying emoji means the mods are working for you now, but if you have any other issues, or other questions, please feel free to ask.

Message 16 of 30 (7,561 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@CallmemckailyaI'm unable to use nraas and other script mods but cc works. I'm still getting the intro. I've tried everything and nothing seems to work. Idk if its origin.

Message 17 of 30 (7,050 Views)

@ORO_Jai  Have you deleted the five cache files in your Sims 3 user data folder (the one in Documents\Electronic Arts)?  These files should be deleted any time you add or remove content from the folder.  For reference, the files are:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

The third one is the crucial one for mods specifically, but the others should be deleted regularly anyway, so most of us just remove them all whenever we install new mods or cc.

If this isn't the issue, please take a screenshot of the folder that contains your mods, with the file path showing—it's above the list of files and folders in a File Explorer window.

Message 18 of 30 (7,031 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@puzzlezaddict Hello, I'm having some issues getting my mods in the Sims 3 folder to work. I followed this thread and it has been very helpful, however, every time I launch the game, I still get the intro video which is a sign that the mods are not working. I'm in the current folder with my DeviceCongfig having the most recent date (today) and that's where I've placed the Mod file. However, I see that when I unzipped the file, the Mod file date says 6/11/2011. Not sure why. I'm thinking that's what's messing up my mods?

Message 19 of 30 (6,943 Views)

@pomk786  Did you move your Sims 3 folder to the desktop?  Because that's what the file location shows in your screenshot.  The Sims 3 folder the game is using is located in Documents\Electronic Arts, and the mods need to be there too.

The Mods folder offered on Mod the Sims, if that's what you downloaded, hasn't changed since 2011.  But that's not a problem—the game resources that the included mods use haven't changed since then, so there was never any need to update.

Be sure to delete the five cache files in your Sims 3 folder as well:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache,package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

Message 20 of 30 (6,940 Views)