[OPEN] Houses/Lots disappear

by crinrict

Original Post

Re: [INFO REQUEST] Houses/Lots disappear

★ Novice

I cant because I dont have internet on my computer at the moment only have my phone. 

Message 301 of 557 (1,333 Views)

Hero

OK. Thanks for your response.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 302 of 557 (1,330 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

Houses disappearing is the result of scratch files not matching the world files in the game.  In order to properly backup your game you need to take the whole save folder out from the Ea_games folder, in Windows it will be in my documents.  There is a folder in there that says scratch, this holds the recent lot changes to the original neighborhoods this whole scratch folder needs to be saved with your saves, or the lots will not show up.  This contains coordinates of objects and building and your modified thumbnails.  Each save should have its own scratch folder.  I hope this helps.  In order to get it to work properly I had to move my save folder out of the ea_games directory and delete the ea games directory load and exit game and bring the whole save folder back and the games should load the lot with the  proper stuff how you know it works is non of the lots will have thumbnails until you save the first time, than exit game and load again everything should be as it was.

Message 303 of 557 (1,322 Views)

EA Sims Team

@BlackjackWidow 

Thank you for the other files!  However, we still have not been able to reproduce the issue.  Do you ever touch the saves/scratch folder, or do you always leave that alone?

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 304 of 557 (1,276 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

I found that you need the save scratch files as it holds recent modifications and coordinates of objects in the world, your same file has a copy of it, but not the most recent changes this is incase you decide not to save the game.  Anyways when I was transferring my files from my home computer to the labtop I needed the scratch files, because without them you just get the default world map with the original thumbnails and any modified buildings that have been modified since your save file is gone.  Some times the world save files get corrupt and when that happens the buildings show, the scratch files mark the cordiance to certain lots and objects that have changed, but the world files are damaged and the only way to fix them is to take the whole save folder out and delete the ea games directory and have the game load fresh ones, than restart the game, start a save and exit your game than copy your saves and scratch files to the save game folder and the lots and building should be back.

You also want to save tray as that is your library in the game for cas households and sims, saving the onlinethumbnailcache  folder is the lots you created or modified that are uploaded to the gallery without them you won't get the connected lot link.

Message 305 of 557 (1,274 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@SimQARobo wrote:

@BlackjackWidow 

Thank you for the other files!  However, we still have not been able to reproduce the issue.  Do you ever touch the saves/scratch folder, or do you always leave that alone?

I have several times renamed save files to enable an auto-backup, either for testing something or because the current file became corrupted. This is probably unusual, but I never had a scratch folder until the save before the building disappeared. I never messed with the scratch folder or files, and was surprised to see one in the save folder.

It very well could have something to do with the scratch folder, though. I know that I did a number of things while in build mode prior to the problem. I've been trying to test as well, to see if I can give you reproducible steps, but I've not had any luck either. One thing I haven't tried yet, might work for you - the day before this happened (and when I think the scratch folder was created), I went into build mode, from the live game. Started moving things - walls and such - after thoroughly hating what I had done, I used ctrl-z to undo every action, then went back to live mode. Then I went into Manage Worlds (from the same household), and bulldozed the Affluista mansion lot to place a downloaded house. I then went through and saved each room from that house to My Gallery, so I would have the rooms instead of the lot, since it was a 50 x 50 lot.

Then I went back to Manage Worlds, clicked on my household and went back there. I moved stuff out of a couple of rooms and deleted the rooms from the house, then placed the rooms from my library, then redecorated with the stuff from my inventory. I think - this is really hard to remember now, but I'm pretty sure after doing all of this I exited to main menu without saving. The next day when I played, I'm pretty sure those rooms were in My Library, even though I had exited without saving, and I think I eventually used those rooms to redo my main household's house. If they didn't stay there, I did it all over again. I know after I used the rooms, I deleted them from My Library. 

I had played the files I uploaded for at least 3 real-life hours without saving, and possibly went into build mode to move a couple of items, but I did not do any actual building or moving walls or rooms on the day the gym disappeared on traveling. After arriving to the empty gym lot, I did go into build mode and while there I did a "save as" to try keep my original file. That is when it deleted the contents of my save folder.

Sorry for the incomplete steps - I am also trying to replicate the problem, and I will let you know if I am successful. Any other questions, I'm happy to help!

Edit: Also, the day before the problem, I had deleted several saved games via the X on the main menu. I deleted at least 7 games from the main menu, as they were just older "save as" copies of various times that I was unsure what an outcome would be.

Message 306 of 557 (1,252 Views)

Re: missing lots

★★ Novice

I went to take my pet to the vet one day...the veterinary hospital had just up and vanished...I didn't save and went back to the game...vet still wasn't there.  So, I started my character over.  Just used a mod for the first time today...because one of the villas in the jungle disappeared.  This is getting really weird.  I know it wasn't anything that I did...this is a glitch.

Message 307 of 557 (1,234 Views)

★★ Novice
Missing buildings again in game...premade buildings...had my son re-install game and it is still happening without mods or cheats!
Message 308 of 557 (1,167 Views)

why are sims 4 buildings disappearing

★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.49.65.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Expansion Packs: Get Famous, Seasons, Cats & Dogs, City Living, Get Together, Get to Work Game Packs: Jungle Adventure, Parenthood, Vampires, Dine Out, Spa Day, Outdoor Adventure Stuff Packs: Laundry Day Stuff, Toddler Stuff, Vintage Glamour Stuff, Backyard Stuff, Kids Room Stuff, Romantic Garden Stuff, Spooky Stuff, Cool Kitchen Stuff, Perfect Patio Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I have no idea...I suppose you can create your own Sim and put hours of work into them and what it happen to you.
What happens when the bug occurs? there are empty lots where buildings are supposed to be...
What do you expect to see? Took my cat to the vet only to discover that the vet hospital was non-existant...went on vacation in the jungle to find the rental was an empty lot...came home from an event to find I had no home to go to...moved and found that I had moved to an empty lot where a house or apartment was supposed to be.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

This problem seems to have gotten worse since last update on February 5th.  I have only used one mod and that was to replace a vacation rental in the jungle that should have been there when I rented it but was not...so this was going on before that mod.  I had my son uninstall game after saving my characters and then reinstall it...same thing happened.  He said save was corrupted (even though I didn't save game when I move to an apartment lot that was empty).  So I deleted character and started over...Fountainview Penthouse is still missing...no mods, no cheats.  What is going on?!?  This is getting very frustrating and I am starting to lose hope!!!

Message 309 of 557 (1,168 Views)

Re: why are sims 4 buildings disappearing

Hero

HI @groovysherrie65 

I merged your thread with the thread you have already posted int. There's no need for a new one when we already have one that's monitored by QA.

It's really unclear why it's happening but if you have saves from before it happen to share with QA, that would be helpful

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 310 of 557 (1,155 Views)