Re: [INFO REQUEST] Houses/Lots disappear

by PixelFacex3

Original Post

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Gym lot disappeared on travel; Save folder contents deleted

In my game, the sim traveled to the gym and when she arrived there, it was an empty lot.  I attempted to do a "save as" and when I did, it deleted the contents of my entire saves folder. All saves were gone, including the one that I was playing. When I quit the game (without saving), the folder was empty.

I had a sim travel from home lot to the gym in Willow Creek. When she arrived there, the Movers & Shakers gym was missing from the lot. There was a gym trainer NPC standing off to the corner of the lot.

At first, I thought I'd just go into build mode and place the gym back there, so went into Manage Worlds > My Gallery > clicked on the gym and then thought "This might screw something up, I should save to a different file before I do this". Backed out, clicked on "Save As", and there was nothing there - none of the several games that were previously there, and not the legacy file I was currently playing. Switched to Windows Explorer, and sure enough - the saves folder is there, but it's completely empty. Everything was deleted.

• Are you using mods and custom content in your game ? If no, did you remove or never use ? No mods or cc, never used
  • Do you download houses from the Gallery ? I have downloaded 3 houses from one user (Pinstar1161 - simple legacy homes) The home that the played family lives in is using one or two basic rooms from one of the houses, but it's been expanded and changed so much it really doesn't bear much resemblance
  • Which expansion do you have ? Romantic Garden, Grim's Ghoulish Guitar, Holiday Celebration Pack
  • What's your operating system ? Windows 10 Home (version 1803) 17134.407
  • Which house(s) are gone ? NPC Houses ? GTW lots ? Your own ? Movers & Shakers Gym in Willow Springs
  • When did this occur ? When you loaded the game or on traveling ? Disappeared when traveling to the gym, from home lot which is built on the 50 x 50 Willow Springs lot
  • Is just the house gone from the lot or the Sims too ? There was one gym trainer NPC standing on the sidewalk on the very far corner
  • How much disc space do you have left on your hard drive (the one where the user folder is in) ? User folder is on an internal SSD drive; 892 GBs free out of 931 GBs (program files on HDD 360 GB free out of 465 GBs)
  • Anything else that comes to mind ? 
    1. This is a full household (8 sims). There were 3 sims at school and I believe I had sent 1 other to work before I traveled with this sim to the gym. So 3 at school, 1 at work, 3 at home (with one of those working from home) and then the 1 that traveled when the gym disappeared. She was "very energized" at the time.
    2. I play offline; logged onto Origin, went offline, then I run the game from a shortcut to the 64-bit client (as Administrator)
    3. The Movers & Shakers gym disappeared from the lot, but it was still in My Library, and nothing was missing from My Library.
    4. It appears the game deleted all my save files when I backed out of build mode on the empty lot. As stated above, I went into build mode on the empty lot, located the Movers & Shakers Gym, clicked on "Place Lot", then cancelled the action (never placed the lot - hit escape button), went back to lot with focus on my sim, clicked "save as" and it acted as if it was the first time I had ever played the game; no game title, just "Game Save ###" (I don't remember the number, but it seemed realistic for the number of games I've probably saved over my game lifetime - 17 or  something)
    5. It is possible that I entered build mode prior to this happening, but I don't recall doing it directly beforehand. During gameplay the previous day, I know I entered to buy a new digitalistic gamepad for a different sim (hers was bugged and wasn't working), and possibly moving some items from the household into the household inventory. The last time I did "real" building in building mode, was quite some time ago (on Dec 2, 2018, according to my saves Standard smile)

@SimQARobo wrote:

Hello,

For anyone encountering this, we're wondering what virus scanner / internet protection software you're using (if any).

Also, if there is any other software that you like to use while playing the game, we'd like to know about that as well.  EDIT: And if there are PC or Mac optimization/cleanup tools you have installed, we'd like to know that too.

Thank you.

I use McAfee Total Protection. A full virus scan ran before this happened, but nothing was flagged. As stated above, I was playing offline. I usually have Chrome and an Excel spreadsheet running, but no music or chat programs running. McAfee runs a cleaning routine to remove cookies and clean up rogue files, but that didn't happen during this time.

I have a full saves folder from 3 hours of gameplay before this happened. I also archived the entire TS4 user folder after it happened. I have played through with the "before" save, trying to get this to happen again, but haven't been able to duplicate it. I can upload both, but would prefer to PM the link, rather than post it here. In the meantime, I'll keep trying to lose my files again.

Message 281 of 557 (1,002 Views)

★★★ Novice
I hate when that happens
Message 282 of 557 (958 Views)

★★★★ Novice
  • Are you using mods and custom content in your game ? If no, did you remove or never use ?

Don't have any mods

• Do you download houses from the Gallery ?

Nope

• Which expansion do you have ?

All of them. Issues started after I bought Get Together and Get Famous. (plus jungle adventure and laundry day)

• What's your operating system ?

windows 7

• Which house(s) are gone ? NPC Houses ? GTW lots ? Your own ?

All except my own

• When did this occur ? When you loaded the game or on traveling ?

Loading the game

• Is just the house gone from the lot or the Sims too ?

House

• How much disc space do you have left on your hard drive (the one where the user folder is in) ?

48GB

I literally cannot play this game despite the fact I must have spent at least £150 on it... When is this going to get fixed? Why hasn't it been fixed when it's been going on since the game was released? It's unplayable for me now unless I want a new game every time I play. I've tried completely getting rid of cache, saves, repairing the game and every time I do this it happens on every new save after I turn the game off and go on it again later on.

Message 283 of 557 (853 Views)

Penthouse disappeared

★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
What is your current game version number? 1.48.94.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except my first pets and spooky
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? It’s just on the penthouse in the arts district
What happens when the bug occurs? My penthouse has disappeared randomly after logging on to save file as well as the build below the penthouse. This has left an empty lot in its place
What do you expect to see? Penthouse and building beneath.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

I log on to my penthouse and it’s just gone with the building beneath it as well. I’ve tried logging on to the save file again but still no luck. All that’s  there is an empty lot in place of where the tower black used to be! I’ve lost all my archeology gear!!!!! 

Message 284 of 557 (674 Views)

Re: Penthouse disappeared

Hero

Hi @Amelialad

probably the same as this issue: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/INFO-REQUEST-Houses-Lots-disappear/td-p/4620279/jump-t...

Do you happen to have a backup from before it disappeared ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 285 of 557 (662 Views)

★★ Novice

Unfortunately not

Message 286 of 557 (658 Views)

Hero

Hi @PixelFacex3

the trouble with this issue is that it's very evasive and the root cause to this seems to be very hard to find. 

Do you have a save game from before the houses started disappearing ? That would be very useful to have.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 287 of 557 (822 Views)

Hero
Did you play on after it disappeared or did you come here straight ?

Maybe one of the automatic backups still has them

Here's how to get those back into your game: https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/save-games/#wiederherstellen

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 288 of 557 (651 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This happened to me this morning. I can't see any houses once I click into them. In most neighborhoods I can see houses on the neighborhood view, but they vanish when I click on them or bring a sim to them. One neighborhood doesn't even show houses in neighborhood view anymore.

Reverting to an old save file brought my houses back, thankfully. I used these instructions to do so and the problem is now fixed.

Here's my answers to the questions in case it helps solve the bug for the future.

I suspect low hard-drive space could have contributed to the problem for me.

• Are you using mods and custom content in your game ? If no, did you remove or never use ?

Nope

• Do you download houses from the Gallery ?

Yes

• Which expansion do you have ?

Free holiday pack, Cats & Dogs

• What's your operating system ?

Mac OS X

• Which house(s) are gone ? NPC Houses ? GTW lots ? Your own ?

All

• When did this occur ? When you loaded the game or on traveling ?

Traveling

• Is just the house gone from the lot or the Sims too ?

Just house

• How much disc space do you have left on your hard drive (the one where the user folder is in) ?

16.92 GB, ish, when this initially happened I had around 6 GB so I tried deleting applications and emptying my trash folder in case low storage space was causing the problem. Clearing up more space didn't bring the houses back.

Reverting to an old save file brought my houses back.

Message 289 of 557 (779 Views)

Hero
Thanks all that are providing info in this thread. I wished I had an answer but it just seems a very difficult issue to repro.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 290 of 557 (774 Views)