I tried to move my SIMS 4 to my D and now it will not load

by sabrinaplus4

Original Post

Accepted Solution

I tried to move my SIMS 4 to my D and now it will not load

★★ Novice

Several months ago I tried to move my sims game to my D drive from the C drive. It was working just fine on the D drive but stopped working after this. I then uninstalled and reinstalled sims 4 and the same with origin. Still it did not work. I even restored windows thinking something got deleted that should not have and still nothing. I updated drivers and nothing. I have it on the c drive again and it still will not load. I tried dragging it to desktop and it will not load. Again I have tried to uninstall and reinstall it but nothing I do gets it past a white screen and then in stops working. I have no idea what else to do. I have no mods on my computer now because that was the first thing I took off when it stopped working. 

Message 1 of 9 (822 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: I tried to move my SIMS 4 to my D and now it will not load

[ Edited ]

@sabrinaplus4  That's exactly what I need, thanks.  And there is one obvious immediate issue: your (very old) Nvidia graphics driver is crashing and taking Sims 4 down with it.

Since your dxdiag also lists a few update errors and one other system error, it's a good idea to start with a couple basic checks of your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates. If there are a number pending, it may take multiple tries, with restarts in between, to get them all to run. Restart again when you're done.

After you've finished this process, download the newest driver available from Nvidia, which you can get here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/172062/en-us

Run it as an admin: right-click on the download and select "Run as administrator."  Select the custom route, and "perform a clean install."  Restart yet again when you're done.

Finally, it looks like your monitor is plugged into the motherboard.  You'll get better performance if you instead plug it directly into the graphics card.

If you do all this and Sims 4 still won't launch, please run a new dxdiag.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 9 (755 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@sabrinaplus4 When you uninstalled the game did you use a registry cleaner like ccleaner (there is a free version)? When you installed to D drive did you change the installer location in origin? The game will install to d drive but the user data will still be on the system drive - c drive. There are some visual c++ runtime distros you need - I think it is the 2013 version but not positive. You can google them and dl from Microsoft. Did you activate OneDrive by logging into OneDrive? This could change the location of where the game uses the game data (save games etc). The game needs to talk to EA to activate the install the first the game successfully loads. If your using the default firewall the installer should create the proper entries (usually but most times it does) but if your not usiing the default firewall you may have to manually make entries to allow the game and Origin through the firewall. On a fresh Windows install make sure the operating system (Winows) is up to date. You may have to run the Windows updater several times. Once you install the game open Origin and see if there are any updates for the game. A new install of the Windows operating system is a lot of work and it may not work correctly ay first until it is updated.You also need the latest version of Origin so open Origjn and see if it updates.After you season your hardware and device drivers (usually the video driver) the game should work unless you have a hardware issue. The game uses APIs in IE (Internet Explorer) so don't uninstall that. You can't just "move" this game, it has to be installed

Message 2 of 9 (802 Views)

@sabrinaplus4  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also let me know what antivirus you use.

Message 3 of 9 (792 Views)

★★ Novice

4 When you uninstalled the game did you use a registry cleaner like ccleaner (there is a free version)? no

When you installed to D drive did you change the installer location in origin? No, the first time I messed up and just tried to drag the game to the D drive obviously not how it woks but then I completely uninstalled in and reinstalled in by changing the install location in origin

The game will install to d drive but the user data will still be on the system drive - c drive.

There are some visual c++ runtime distros you need - I think it is the 2013 version but not positive. You can google them and dl from Microsoft.  actually this was one of the first things that I made sure was up to date.

Did you activate OneDrive by logging into OneDrive? running and active

This could change the location of where the game uses the game data (save games etc).

The game needs to talk to EA to activate the install the first the game successfully loads. If your using the default firewall the installer should create the proper entries (usually but most times it does) but if your not usiing the default firewall you may have to manually make entries to allow the game and Origin through the firewall. I am only using a built in firewall for windows It was working previously to trying to move it. Then i uninstalled the game and tried again but it still did not work

On a fresh Windows install make sure the operating system (Winows) is up to date. You may have to run the Windows updater several times. It was a restore that kept my personal files but I can run City skylines on it.  I actually wonder if I accidently moved or deleted something important and so I restored it but this did not help. Drivers are up to date the computer says

Once you install the game open Origin and see if there are any updates for the game. A new install of the Windows operating system is a lot of work and it may not work correctly ay first until it is updated.You also need the latest version of Origin so open Origjn and see if it updates. After you season your hardware and device drivers (usually the video driver) the game should work unless you have a hardware issue. I have no hardware issues and it was playing and then I stupidly tried to change drives and it stopped working and now will not load. 

The game uses APIs in IE (Internet Explorer) so don't uninstall that. You can't just "move" this game, it has to be installed this might be a problem I guess I am not sure what this is. 

Message 4 of 9 (770 Views)

★★ Novice

I hope this is what you need

Message 5 of 9 (769 Views)

[ Edited ]

@sabrinaplus4  That's exactly what I need, thanks.  And there is one obvious immediate issue: your (very old) Nvidia graphics driver is crashing and taking Sims 4 down with it.

Since your dxdiag also lists a few update errors and one other system error, it's a good idea to start with a couple basic checks of your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates. If there are a number pending, it may take multiple tries, with restarts in between, to get them all to run. Restart again when you're done.

After you've finished this process, download the newest driver available from Nvidia, which you can get here:

Run it as an admin: right-click on the download and select "Run as administrator."  Select the custom route, and "perform a clean install."  Restart yet again when you're done.

Finally, it looks like your monitor is plugged into the motherboard.  You'll get better performance if you instead plug it directly into the graphics card.

Message 6 of 9 (756 Views)

★★ Novice

• Hit Windows key-X

Capture 4-18-21.PNG

Finally, it looks like your monitor is plugged into the motherboard.  You'll get better performance if you instead plug it directly into the graphics card. I don't have a port to connect the monitor directly to my graphics card or if I do then I need a different cord IDK. 

Message 7 of 9 (735 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict It works now thank you so much! I have no idea what it was i did but thanks for walking me through the steps.
Message 8 of 9 (726 Views)

@sabrinaplus4  I'm glad to hear that.  Your graphics card should have three DisplayPort ports, which is the same type you're currently using with your motherboard.  So all you need to do is disconnect the cord from the motherboard and plug it into one of the matching ports on the card.

Message 9 of 9 (723 Views)