I think I broke my Sims 3 game

by anniedish123

Original Post

Accepted Solution

I think I broke my Sims 3 game

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

[Removed, do not post links like that again - Admin.]. I dowloaded Lucky Palms and some furniture. Once I put them in my game, after pressing play in the launcher, my Sims 3 completely refuses to work. It won't open no matter what I do. I deleted everything I installed from my downloads and mods folders, but I still can't open it Frown( help! My launcher doesn't work anymore either. Every time I try to open it, it crashes after like 10 seconds.

Message 1 of 5 (473 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: I think I broke my Sims 3 game

@anniedish123  The launcher doesn't always install store and custom content properly, unfortunately.  The best approach from here is probably to start with another clean folder, move you cc downloads to that folder, and install a few at a time, testing afterwards to see whether the game still works.  Each time it does,make a copy of the Sims 3 folder, which you can then restore if the launcher won't open afte the next batch of cc.  That way, you don't have to start from scratch again.

When you have everything installed properly, or have trashed whatever files are causing problems, you can delete the previous backup folders and go from there.  I'd still keep one working copy of the Sims 3 folder though, just in case.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (439 Views)

All Replies

@anniedish123  Please remove the entire Sims 3 folder from Documents\Electronic Arts, and try to launch the game.  If it works, a clean folder will spawn with no content, and you can move your saves and mods to that folder.  It goes without saying that any pirated content should stay away from the new folder.

If the game still doesn't work, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

And in the future, it's never a good idea to download content from sites like these.  At best, you may have to rebuild your user folder, as above.

Message 2 of 5 (459 Views)

★★ Novice

thanks for the response. i removed the sims 3 folder and it worked perfectly. then i added my downloads and mods back in (without installing the downloads in the launcher) and it worked perfectly as well. then, i closed the game and went to the launcher to reinstall the custom content. once i did that, the game stopped working again. this is really weird since i removed all the downloaded content from the website and my game had been working well with the cc prior to downloading the content from the website.

Message 3 of 5 (452 Views)

@anniedish123  The launcher doesn't always install store and custom content properly, unfortunately.  The best approach from here is probably to start with another clean folder, move you cc downloads to that folder, and install a few at a time, testing afterwards to see whether the game still works.  Each time it does,make a copy of the Sims 3 folder, which you can then restore if the launcher won't open afte the next batch of cc.  That way, you don't have to start from scratch again.

When you have everything installed properly, or have trashed whatever files are causing problems, you can delete the previous backup folders and go from there.  I'd still keep one working copy of the Sims 3 folder though, just in case.

Message 4 of 5 (440 Views)

★★ Novice

thank you! game works now!

Message 5 of 5 (430 Views)