I refreshed my laptop in 2020

by MaverickHawk5

Original Post

Re: I refreshed my laptop in 2020

@MaverickHawk5  Looks like your post disappeared for a few minutes but is back now.  I still think this is more likely an issue with your old user data folder, not necessarily the game's program files or the runtimes it needs to work.  I have .NET 3.5 as well—that's what Windows offers, and it includes .NET 3.0 (and 2.0) for backwards compatibility.  It's never been an issue with the game.

When you're finished reinstalling, please test first with a completely clean user data folder.  You can start moving your old content into that folder later, but it's better to start by establishing that the game will run with no added content.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 11 of 41 (523 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict

Ok I think got everything to load now? Also make sure to reinstall all mods, this won't hurt anything. Need to delete the 5 cache files. I just did a test.

CASPartCache.package

compositorCache.package

scriptCache.package

simCompositorCache.package

socialCache.package

Also make sure to make Electronic Arts folder in MyDocuments to attributes (uncheck Read-Only) and apply to sub-folders.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND FOR ANYONE TRANSFERRING THEIR PREVIOUS MY DOCUMENTS FOLDER TO NEW COMPUTER, DO NOT DOWNLOAD EA DOWNLOAD MANAGER! DO MANUAL PATCH! 

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/FAQ-Current-Patch-1-67-Manual-links-and-more/td-p/6785...

Select super patcher the 1.67 one. Also do typical install not custom install, which I don't know if that will help? Just on safe side measures of installing, it worked for me.

Message 12 of 41 (504 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I really think the EA Download Manager really messed everything up as culprit. So it's better to ignore downloading the EA Download Manager while installing the base game and any EP(s); there should be a check box to ignore. I had to update the game before any EP install with the manual patch. FORGET THE EA DOWNLOAD MANAGER, YOU DON'T NEED IT! 

Message 13 of 41 (498 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

So far, just having trouble making sims3package and some package work. I deleted the caches. 

Message 14 of 41 (476 Views)

@MaverickHawk5  What kinds of .package files don't work, as in, what are they supposed to be?  If they're mods or custom content (as opposed to saved households or builds in your Library folder), it might be easier to just download new copies of the ones you can find.

And yes, manually patching a disc install is always the way to go.  That's why I linked the Super Patch earlier, although it looks like you found the same thing from a different source.

Message 15 of 41 (456 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I reinstalled the CC content...still won't show up in game! Deleted the 5 caches and nothing! Now some are working, but my content for hair isn't showing up in game from StoreDownload, even when it's stating as installed. Some freshprincecreations (cars) not working. 

Gosh at least I'm going out of my mind and EA is displaying store stuff, even when I checked continue without logging in! Don't know what that is all about in functionality? 

My male sim is bald and my female sim has different hair. 

I read something about devicesconfig somewhere, which I don't understand.

Ok I'm changing my computer name. It was the same name just a last name initial added when I refreshed my computer.

Edit: NOPE still the same!

Message 16 of 41 (443 Views)

★ Apprentice

Do I need the EA download manager to install CC?

Message 17 of 41 (416 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Figured I might need the download manager, but for some reason it's asking me to update to 6.5.1.011031, when I have 1.67.2.024001 installed, which is newer or latest. This INCOMPETENT LAUNCHER! Unless I need more than one patch?

I can't get any of most cc content to work in game! I uninstalled and reinstalled the cc content! Nothing! I even deleted the 5 caches!

It's like EA is forcing me to use ORIGIN? BAH! 

I DON'T KNOW, I'M GOING MAD NOW! 

@puzzlezaddict 

Message 18 of 41 (412 Views)

@MaverickHawk5  You don't need the EA Download Manager to install custom content; the two have nothing to do with each other.  The EADM was Origin's predecessor and, if installed, will try to patch itself to Origin.  Since you want to stay on a disc install, the right approach is to decline the EADM and just manually patch.

Some custom content may be outdated; other cc might require a base item you don't own.  If you want, you can send me links to a few downloads that aren't working for you, and I can take a look.  I have all EPs and half the SPs, so I might get a decent idea of what can work and what can't.  Please send the links via private message, since we're not allowed to post links to third-party content here.

Message 19 of 41 (384 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Mostly it's sims3package and most of the package files show up in game. 

A crazy thought. Transfer DCBackup, which is basically package files to mod folder lol. I wonder if it will work? I don't mind at all if it does work.

Update at the moment: Scripts found stating it's reading the dcbackup package files at game menu LOL.

I might need a genius badge if this works?

Message 20 of 41 (376 Views)