I have a nice new computer but the sims takes about 2 hours to load.

by femmebean

Original Post

Accepted Solution

I have a nice new computer but the sims takes about 2 hours to load.

★ Novice

I bought a HP Pavilion Gaming laptop but the game takes so long to load? i can play the sims 4 fine (i havent tried out sims 2 but hopefully that game will be okay) but the sims 3 is unplayable. i eventually just quit because it still hadnt loaded after 2 hours. it loads initially but as soon as i start a world it takes forever!

I checked and my Graphics card is recognized, i honestly dont know what the problem is! i really hope someone here can help me with this, i love all the games but the sims 3 is special to me, i got a fancy new laptop so i could play it nicely but even my old laptop could load it faster than this!

Message 1 of 5 (396 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: I have a nice new computer but the sims takes about 2 hours to load.

@femmebean  Alright, your specs are fine to run the whole game (as you probably already knew).  The one thing you'll need to do, if you haven't already, is limit your in-game frame rates.  A GTX 1050 is capable of producing rates well into the hundreds if not capped, potentially working hard enough to damage itself. You can see the in-game fps (once you get that far) by opening the cheat console (crtl-shift-c) and entering "fps on" without the quotes—a number will appear in the upper right corner of the screen.  ("fps off" makes the number go away.)

Nvidia Control Panel, which will already be installed, is often enough to cap fps, but not always, and it never works in windowed mode.  The next tool to try would be Nvidia Inspector (free download).  Here are some screenshots of the setup for each, under the spoilers:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16540301/#Comment_16540301

Kind of a side note, but what does your deviceconfig list for VRAM?  Even when the game is forced to formally recognize a card, it doesn't always pick up this figure accurately.

Since you've only tested two store worlds, I'm wondering if there's a problem with either your .ebc files (in DCCache), which contain bundled store content, or your ccmerged.package (in DCBackup).  But to narrow down the source of the problem, try loading a new game in a clean folder.  Drag your existing TS3 game folder out of Documents and onto your desktop, and a new folder will spawn the next time you launch the game.  If you can load a world like Sunset Valley or Twinbrook and play it for a bit, go ahead and install just one of the store worlds and test it out.  If that works, you can install the other world as well.  Don't try to install other items with the worlds—they're large enough files that they should be installed separately, not in a batch with anything else.

Once you have the worlds working in your clean game folder, you can install the rest of your store content, in batches of around 6 items at a time.  Any more, and you run the risk of getting a corrupt install and having to start over.  Test out the game again, and if everything's still working, you can move your saves, if you have any, into the new folder as well.

P.S.  You might want to delete the "my specs" file from your post, as it lists your device and product IDs.  (I'm not sure how useful that info is, but why risk it?)  Your dxdiag has all the necessary information anyway.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (351 Views)

All Replies

@femmebean  Could you post the specs of your computer?  Even better would be running a dxdiag; you can attach it here using the "browse" button.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/HOW-TO-DxDiag-PC-Only/m-p/1049584/thread-id/47181

It would also help to know which packs you have installed, whether you've ever been able to play on this computer, and if the game fails to load no matter which world you choose.

Message 2 of 5 (379 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Heres the DxDiag and my Specs!

I have University, Seasons, Generations, And Supernatural installed! 

I can get it to load the main menu to start a new world but once i get to the loading screen it takes so long to load (it seemed to get close after the 2 hour mark with midnight hollow but i got so tired of waiting that i just quit.) . I havent tried all of the worlds but i tried Aurora Springs and Midnight hollow.

Thank you for the help!!

Message 3 of 5 (371 Views)

@femmebean  Alright, your specs are fine to run the whole game (as you probably already knew).  The one thing you'll need to do, if you haven't already, is limit your in-game frame rates.  A GTX 1050 is capable of producing rates well into the hundreds if not capped, potentially working hard enough to damage itself. You can see the in-game fps (once you get that far) by opening the cheat console (crtl-shift-c) and entering "fps on" without the quotes—a number will appear in the upper right corner of the screen.  ("fps off" makes the number go away.)

Nvidia Control Panel, which will already be installed, is often enough to cap fps, but not always, and it never works in windowed mode.  The next tool to try would be Nvidia Inspector (free download).  Here are some screenshots of the setup for each, under the spoilers:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16540301/#Comment_16540301

Kind of a side note, but what does your deviceconfig list for VRAM?  Even when the game is forced to formally recognize a card, it doesn't always pick up this figure accurately.

Since you've only tested two store worlds, I'm wondering if there's a problem with either your .ebc files (in DCCache), which contain bundled store content, or your ccmerged.package (in DCBackup).  But to narrow down the source of the problem, try loading a new game in a clean folder.  Drag your existing TS3 game folder out of Documents and onto your desktop, and a new folder will spawn the next time you launch the game.  If you can load a world like Sunset Valley or Twinbrook and play it for a bit, go ahead and install just one of the store worlds and test it out.  If that works, you can install the other world as well.  Don't try to install other items with the worlds—they're large enough files that they should be installed separately, not in a batch with anything else.

Once you have the worlds working in your clean game folder, you can install the rest of your store content, in batches of around 6 items at a time.  Any more, and you run the risk of getting a corrupt install and having to start over.  Test out the game again, and if everything's still working, you can move your saves, if you have any, into the new folder as well.

P.S.  You might want to delete the "my specs" file from your post, as it lists your device and product IDs.  (I'm not sure how useful that info is, but why risk it?)  Your dxdiag has all the necessary information anyway.

Message 4 of 5 (352 Views)

★ Novice
Your advice helped! i made a new folder and i was able to load sunset valley and midnight hollow. I thank you for the help!
Message 5 of 5 (337 Views)