I can't install sims3 from cdrom onto xp

by MarianneSparkle

Original Post

I can't install sims3 from cdrom onto xp

★★★ Newbie

I've tried this- all looks good. it's installed many files (but not a desktop launch icon.) and then the installer just closes with no message.
I tried getting it from Origin as an alternative and even though there's a link to the XP compatible origin this also doesn't install.

Any suggestions ?

Message 1 of 7 (571 Views)

Re: I can't install sims3 from cdrom onto xp

@MarianneSparkle  The version of Origin that worked on XP was sunset in January 2020.  It won't even completely install, let alone work.

Regardless, please check to see whether you have a TS3w.exe within the game's program files.  It should be in ...The Sims 3\Game\Bin.  If you do have it, you should be able to launch the game by double-clicking on it.  Please let me know whether this works.

If it doesn't, or you don't have the file, how old is your Sims 3 base game disc?  The year is fine; you can see it (the copyright date) in the fine print on the back of the box.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 7 (553 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, There wasn't a TS3w.exe but there was a  TS3.ex_ It was 10.7MB  

I tried renaming this to TS3.exe and running this to see if that worked.

It put a frame around a black screen and gave me the egg timer for a bit then closed down.

Now if I try again it does nothing.

The copyright is from 2011

Message 3 of 7 (539 Views)

@MarianneSparkle  Your base game disc is old enough that it doesn't require Origin, so at least that isn't a problem.  Try running the Super Patch, which you can download from the link here, under "Cumulative 1.67 Base Game Super Patcher":

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/175477/official-ea-download-link-for-the-sims-3-cumulati...

If the game still won't open, please look for any related errors in the Reliability Monitor.  (I think it's a thing in XP, but to be honest I've never run that OS.)  Hit Windows key-R and enter "perfmon /rel" without quotes, and... if it works, you'll see a chart of updates and errors with a column for each day.

Please look for any errors that mention Sims 3, or any that happened at the same time as you tried to launch the game.  Right-click and select "View technical details," copy the information you see, and paste it into a reply here.

In addition, please also run a dxdiag and attach it to a reply.  Hit Windows key-R, enter "dxdiag" without quotes, wait for the scan to finish, click "Save all information," and save the .txt file somewhere convenient.

Message 4 of 7 (527 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi,

I tried that

I took a while to download then I tried running it and it dropped out saying no version of sims 3 had been detected.

When I tried installing sims 3 from cdrom a couple of days ago it did install files and the installation process did ask for me to put in the product key which I did.

What is it looking for that I don't have and how can I get round this ?

I tried perfmon but this didn't show much apart from the activity graphs.

I also looked in the event viewer at the application log and this was busy but I couldn't see anything related to sims or ea.

What next ?

Message 5 of 7 (515 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The DXDiag you asked for..

Message 6 of 7 (514 Views)

[ Edited ]

@MarianneSparkle  The fact that the Super Patch doesn't detect the game means it certainly didn't install properly, and since you can't run the Super Patch or open the game, it can't be repaired.  So the only move is to clean uninstall the game and hope the reinstall goes better.  Try using Revo Uninstaller (the free version is fine):

https://www.revouninstaller.com/products/revo-uninstaller-free/

If Revo doesn't find Sims 3, which it might not, you could try Piriform's CCleaner, but that also might not run if you don't have and can't install ,NET 4.0.  The other option is to manually remove the files and clean your computer's registry.  Use the manual instructions for disc installs in this article:

https://help.ea.com/en/help/the-sims/the-sims-3/manually-uninstalling-the-sims-3/

By the way, if you're using a standard, non-admin Windows user account, please let me know, and try the above in an admin account instead.

Message 7 of 7 (483 Views)