Re: How to move Sims 4 game saves from Win7 to Win10

by crinrict

Original Post

How to move Sims 4 game saves from Win7 to Win10

★★★ Newbie

Hi All,

I have read the latest instructions on now to move games from an old PC to a new one, but on my old Win7 system the games were not located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games, they were in C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts.

I tried to copy "G:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4" on my old Win7 hard drive (the Win7 system is dead now, cannot boot it any more but I have the C: drive mounted as G: on the new system) to a new folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Old Origin Games\The Sims 4" on my new Win10 system, and then I changed the "Game Saves" folder in Origin to point to the new folder "Old Origin Games".  Then I opened Sims 4, but although it showed me that I had 810 hours of play time, I did not have any saved games or created players or anything that I had done on the old system.

Are there other folders from the old Win7 system that I may need to copy to have access to all my Win7 saved games and creations?

Are there any other steps I have to do to get everything back the way it was?

I was pretty good about keeping Origins and Sims 4 updated on the old Win7 system, so I think what I have from the old system is reasonably current in terms of platform and game updates and such.

TIA for any help you can provide.

Syd

Message 1 of 3 (643 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@SimMommaO

The Sims 4 Game Files (located in Programs) and the Sims 4 User Files, are different things. Your library (called tray) and your saves, are in your user files, not your game files.

Go to C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4

Your saves are located in the Saves folder, and your library is located in the Tray folder. Copy these folders and save them on an external hard drive for the time being. Updating to a new operating system does not necessarily mess with your  documents folder, but for safety, making a backup is worth it.

After installing windows 10, Download Origin, log in to your account (make sure it's the correct one), and you can install the game again.

Start the game, and your saves might be there, and you're fine. If not, exit the game, and then go back to C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\ and move back the two folders you copied!

Message 2 of 3 (629 Views)

Hero

Hi @SimMommaO

I moved this to the Sims 4 forum. 

Please try @CMeki suggestion.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 3 (617 Views)