How do I reduce sims 4 lag

by KhiaTionna

Original Post

How do I reduce sims 4 lag

★★★ Newbie

Hello, I need help with my sims 4 game! I am experiencing major lags. I have a little over 10k+ cc and a couple of mods on an external flash drive. i've tried going offline, clearing my cache folder and all my mods are up to date. Please help.

Message 1 of 5 (370 Views)

Re: How do I reduce sims 4 lag

@KhiaTionna  How much lag do you see with no mods or custom content at all?  I'm not saying you can't play with extra content, only that this is a useful data point.  Please test both a new save, in one of the base game worlds, and your existing save.  For the latter, quit without saving to avoid any effects of the missing mods and cc.

Your laptop is also somewhat low-end for Sims 4, especially how the game runs currently.  That doesn't mean you can't play, of course, but you might need to make some compromises with graphics settings or cc or how complicated the lots are.  But the first question is how the game runs with no added content.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (331 Views)

★★★ Newbie

When I load up my game without cc/mods it loads up faster. I created a new save and loaded into game, and everything was moving smooth.

Message 3 of 5 (315 Views)

@KhiaTionna  Alright, then what you'll need to do is find a balance between using all the custom content you want and smooth gameplay.  I'm not saying you can't use any cc, only that you probably need to prune your collection.  One thing that can help with loading times, although not necessarily once you're past the loading screen, is suppressing the pop-up that lists your mods and cc at the Main Menu.

If you have different saves that use different sets of cc, you can also have multiple copies of the Sims 4 user folder (the one in Documents > Electronic Arts), one for each save and cc collection.  That would limit what the game has to load in one go, and the cc you're actually using would still be available in that save.  The game will only read the folder that's called "The Sims 4" without any other characters; renaming the folder prevents it from being used.  So you could give each folder its own descriptive name, then rename the one you want to use to "The Sims 4" to have the game read it again.

I have three or four Sims 4 user folders and about a dozen for Sims 3, and this works quite well for me.  It does take some getting used to, but once you've set things up, it's easy to manage.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 5 (288 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you very much!!

Message 5 of 5 (274 Views)