Re: How do I make Create-A-World recognize Sims 3 in Steam?

by ShojoDagger

Original Post

Accepted Solution

How do I make Create-A-World recognize Sims 3 in Steam?

★★ Novice

I purchased & installed Sims 3 via Steam.

However when I try to install CAW it just says that I "must have base game installed"...I DO! How do I make stupid CAW recognize the install?

I'm not interested in "switching" to Origin, I like Steam & I have lots of other games in it. I do not need multiple game clients eating my harddrive, I remember that "harddrive full of exclusive clients for each company" Bull-Plop from "back in the day", no thanks.

I just want to use CAW with my already installed S3 game. If it not currently possible for CAW to be directed to my installed game, then I suggest CAW be updated to recognize games installed with Steam.

Message 1 of 4 (4,211 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

After I posted this question I then lost track of it, sorry.

I did find a solution, on the Steam forums. CAW can be installed with Sims on Steam with a simple registry tweak.

Here is the link to the tweak instructions, for anyone else having this problem.  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=277022926

I was also pointed to this page explaining how to switch a Sim game over to Origin.  http://ts3tutorials.forumotion.com/t130-steam-installation-and-caw-by-littleminxundr#244

Personally, switching to Origin was an unacceptable solution to me. Others may want to switch to it however.

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (4,484 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@ShojoDaggerYou need to patch the pc version of the Sims 3 to version 1.69. This patch is only available through Origin. The patch 1.69 changes the structure of the game among other things. The game will continue to play as is. Your game has to be version 1.69 to add new DLC. You need to contact Steam support about how they want to handle this.

Message 2 of 4 (4,199 Views)

★★ Novice

After I posted this question I then lost track of it, sorry.

I did find a solution, on the Steam forums. CAW can be installed with Sims on Steam with a simple registry tweak.

Here is the link to the tweak instructions, for anyone else having this problem.  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=277022926

I was also pointed to this page explaining how to switch a Sim game over to Origin.  http://ts3tutorials.forumotion.com/t130-steam-installation-and-caw-by-littleminxundr#244

Personally, switching to Origin was an unacceptable solution to me. Others may want to switch to it however.

Message 3 of 4 (4,485 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Thank you, but I already found a solution, which I posted in a second post.

I just needed to do a registry tweak. The Steam version of sims names the registry keys differently than the non-Steam version, thus CAW does not recognize them. EA could amend CAW to recognize the Steam registry keys, they simply choose not to.

The "get Origin" solution is not a solution to me, I do not want Origin.

Furthermore, according to those with Sims 3 on Origin, the 1.69 patch has various annoying/unwanted features.

For example requiring an internet connection to launch the game.

I do not have home internet & Steam does not require the internet to launch the game, so I can (and do) play almost entirely offline.

Please explain how an update that requires me to be online to launch the game, will not affect my gameplay when I do not have a home internet connection...really, I would just love to hear it.

Also:

If by "DLC" you mean expansion packs & stuff packs, you are mistaken, Steam sells those too, so I do not need Origin to get those.

If by "DLC" you mean the EA "store" & the exchange, you are also mistaken, Steam comes with registration codes for EA's site to access the store & exchange & get registration rewards.

So I don't know what "DLC" you're talking about.

Message 4 of 4 (4,048 Views)