Re: How can I reduce the FPS

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

How can I reduce the FPS

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi, I read in the reply to a post of Dec. 4, 2019 that is was possible to reduce the FPS. More info please, and how is it done? Yours BillFlowerpot.

Message 1 of 5 (585 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

@BillFlowerpot  The first tool to try is the built-in Nvidia Control Panel, and if that doesn't work, Nvidia Inspector (free download) is the next step.  Someone on the official Sims forums put together an excellent guide for both tools, with screenshots under the spoilers:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16540301/#Comment_16540301

The v-sync setting in the Control Panel locks fps to the current refresh rate of the monitor, which in your case is 75 Hz.  To manually cap it lower, you'd need to use Inspector and specify the number you wanted, although 75 Hz should be fine.  (There are other tools if Control Panel and Inspector don't work, but these are the first choices for Nvidia cards.)

To check your fps in-game, bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "fps on" without quotes.  A number will appear in the upper right corner of the screen, and although it can sometimes drop into the 20s or lower if you're on an especially cluttered lot, it should never go above the limit you've set.  ("fps off" makes the number go away.)  If it's still consistently too high or fluctuating wildly, we can try a different tool instead.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (552 Views)

All Replies

@BillFlowerpot  That depends on the type graphics card you have installed.  Specifically, do you have a dedicated card made by Nvidia or AMD, or an integrated card made by Intel?  If you don't know, run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 2 of 5 (571 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  Attached are the spec you asked for.  Yours BillFlowerpot

Message 3 of 5 (564 Views)
Highlighted

@BillFlowerpot  The first tool to try is the built-in Nvidia Control Panel, and if that doesn't work, Nvidia Inspector (free download) is the next step.  Someone on the official Sims forums put together an excellent guide for both tools, with screenshots under the spoilers:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16540301/#Comment_16540301

The v-sync setting in the Control Panel locks fps to the current refresh rate of the monitor, which in your case is 75 Hz.  To manually cap it lower, you'd need to use Inspector and specify the number you wanted, although 75 Hz should be fine.  (There are other tools if Control Panel and Inspector don't work, but these are the first choices for Nvidia cards.)

To check your fps in-game, bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "fps on" without quotes.  A number will appear in the upper right corner of the screen, and although it can sometimes drop into the 20s or lower if you're on an especially cluttered lot, it should never go above the limit you've set.  ("fps off" makes the number go away.)  If it's still consistently too high or fluctuating wildly, we can try a different tool instead.

Message 4 of 5 (553 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Thank You.
Message 5 of 5 (444 Views)