Re: How can I download games onto a flash drive?

by jpkarlsen

Original Post

Accepted Solution

How can I download games onto a flash drive?

★★★ Novice

My (:c) drive is not that large but I do have a 32g flash drive that I use for my computer. I am not that familiar with computers and forgive me if this is a silly question but, how would I download a game (The Sims 4 specifically) to a flash drive (:D)?

Message 1 of 6 (27,008 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

To anyone viewing this post in the future and possibly wondering how to do the same thing, I got it to work by going to origin settings and changing the location of my origin games folder to my :D drive and installing my game on to that. My game runs smoothly and I saved 13 gb of space Wink

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (28,833 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

Champion (Retired)

You can not install to removable drives. Buy a new HD preferably an SSD drive.

If it is a desktop computer you will likely be able to install it as a second drive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 6 (26,986 Views)

If you mean an flash drive USB, that probably won't work, but you can always try. I suggest getting an external hard disk or just a new hard drive in your computer.

----------------

Answers HQ Guardian

do not work for EA

Message 3 of 6 (26,975 Views)

★★★ Novice

To anyone viewing this post in the future and possibly wondering how to do the same thing, I got it to work by going to origin settings and changing the location of my origin games folder to my :D drive and installing my game on to that. My game runs smoothly and I saved 13 gb of space Wink

Message 4 of 6 (28,834 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@pinkbellagrace While a usb thumb drive may work at first, Drive designations for usb devices are arbitrarily assigned and may change in the course of the operating system. Data transfer of a usb storage device is a lot slower then a directly connected device. Given that the usb storage device drive designation could (and does) change under certain conditions, your game could stop working at any time because the operating system will be looking for the game to be on D: when the usb device is no longer D:.   Good luck

Message 5 of 6 (26,929 Views)

★ Guide

Hey @pinkbellagrace

It's great you managed to install the game on a flash drive, but personally I wouldn't suggest that as a permanent solution. Flash drives are not designed to run games and it's also known The Sims 4 it's quite an heavy game to run, which could potentially brings issues to the drive itself. 

I'd always recommend to install the game on an hard drive (the same where you install windows preferably) rather than external drives. Upgrade your hard drive shouldn't be that expensive as well and you should then be able to run the game safely and to store all the files necessary to let the game works! Standard smile 

Cheers! 

Message 6 of 6 (26,923 Views)