How can I continue my Sims 4 game from external drive to save disk space?

by EmpathyHeals

Original Post

How can I continue my Sims 4 game from external drive to save disk space?

★ Apprentice

Hi, I need to free up disk space off my main drive and every time I look at what I can uninstall, The Sims 4 is the largest by far. I don't play it that often anymore since some bugs have crept in that just won't quit or get fixed, but I don't want to lose my progress. I have a 6TB drive that I want to move whatever I can to or re-install on and still be able to access my saved games. Can someone please help me figure out what I should move or re-install to be able to do this? Thanks!!

Message 1 of 4 (470 Views)

Re: How can I continue my Sims 4 game from external drive to save disk space?

★★ Pro

@EmpathyHeals

Sims 4 isn't meant to be run on an external drive and it's not supported. However, look over any documents you may have or programs you aren't using anymore.

Some of documents, such as photos, videos, word files, etc can be moved to the external drive for backup.

The programs you aren't using anymore can be uninstalled to make room for Sims 4.

You may also consider taking your computer to a repair shop to see if they can install a new bigger hard drive, so you can have more hard drive space.

Message 2 of 4 (420 Views)

★ Apprentice

I already moved those large folders with content that could be moved to externals off my main hard drive. My hard drive just isn't that big and I don't have money for a new one, much less to take my PC to a computer store. Besides, if I could afford one I could install it myself. Oh well. I finally broke down and uninstalled the Sims yesterday because I got tired of the "you ran out of disk space message" and already uninstalled/moved everything else I was able/willing to. Thanks for responding though.

Message 3 of 4 (415 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hello @EmpathyHeals,

I'm sorry I couldn't get to this sooner. While it is true that we don't recommend external hard drives, if you had to move the game to a second internal hard drive or new folder, there's an option in Origin to Move Game that is quite helpful:

movegame.PNG

More information: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games

I hope that helps!

Arrenai Cat

Message 4 of 4 (389 Views)