Help with my save files please....

by Sims3gurl3

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Help with my save files please....

★★ Novice

Hi Everyone!

My windows computer was going slow, so I had to restart my pc, (new username, had to wipe out everything.)  but it wouldn't let me install Sims 4. So I moved the folder onto my mac's harddrive from my usb thumb drive. (I couldn't even put the file folder in my windows computer that is how slow it was.)

Finally got it fixed and I put in my saved backup, everything works but the saves, I don't know why. They won't show up.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

PS. Tried two methods, compressed and downloaded onto my windows, (that didn't work.)  And formatted my usb to windows so I could put the file in.

That didn't work either.

Message 1 of 11 (951 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Help with my save files please....

[ Edited ]
Champion

Close the game and Origin. Go in and rename the "The Sims 4" folder in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 to something like "The Sims 4 backup" Then restart your game and it will spawn a new, fresh "The Sims 4" folder. Add one(!) save file in it without the .ver behind it. Test the game. 

Test the full saves folder if this works. If the saves work, reintroduce the mods to the game.

Please let us know how it goes.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments

View in thread

Message 10 of 11 (878 Views)

All Replies

Hero

Hi @Sims3gurl3 

since you mention both mac and windows, which system are you playing on ?

Here's a way to find out which folder the game reads: https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2018/07/how-to-find-your-user-folder/

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 11 (937 Views)

★★ Novice

My system is windows (If it were Mac it would be easier, sadly there is never enough memory for it as I use it for photography in college.)

I overrode the folder in my documents on my windows computer, everything else works but the save files. Have any suggestions?

Message 3 of 11 (926 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Sims3gurl3 You have my sympathy... I crashed and wiped out my old laptop (previous, not old - it was a nice laptop) so many times with Photoshop and ginormous raw files that I still have trauma remembering it. (I am also a photographer.) Anyway...

When you saved your old files do you have the old "The Sims 4" folder? I'm assuming that in your fresh computer set-up you have installed the game again, and it came with a fresh "The Sims 4" folder, correct? When you say that you cannot add the saves I am not entirely sure what you mean/the method.... but you are on the same system as when you played before, correct (PC/Windows). Did you try just dropping your old "The Sims 4" folder into the Electronic Arts folder and overwrite (don't merge) the 'The Sims 4' folder in your PC? Don't do this if your old game was buggy or corrupted, but if the only issue was with your computer and a separate issue (in other words, you were not having problems with your Sims game being corrupted).

If your saves and library then show up fine, personally I would then exit the game and run a repair and clean out the cache to freshen it up and all. (Clean house, so to speak.)

Message 4 of 11 (911 Views)

★★ Novice

I already overrode the Sims 4 folder, the saves don't work but everything else does.

Perhaps it is the saves folder?

What do you do for that?

Thank you for your help, both of you!

Message 5 of 11 (901 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Sims3gurl3 Can I clarify that you did not choose 'merge' when dropping your 'The Sims 4' folder into the Electronic Arts folder ?

Message 6 of 11 (897 Views)

★★ Novice
That is correct.
Message 7 of 11 (893 Views)

Champion

@Sims3gurl3 Do you have any Mods or CC in that folder?

Message 8 of 11 (887 Views)

★★ Novice
Yes I do. I did it without and that didn't work sadly.
Message 9 of 11 (883 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Close the game and Origin. Go in and rename the "The Sims 4" folder in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 to something like "The Sims 4 backup" Then restart your game and it will spawn a new, fresh "The Sims 4" folder. Add one(!) save file in it without the .ver behind it. Test the game. 

Test the full saves folder if this works. If the saves work, reintroduce the mods to the game.

Please let us know how it goes.

Message 10 of 11 (879 Views)