Help my game keep crashing

by winterr7456

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Help my game keep crashing

★★★★★ Novice

I haven’t been able to play my game due to the crash I will be in the middle of playing a game and the it closing out I have took out mods and seen if that helps and it doesn’t help please I haven’t played the game since I got it 

Message 1 of 42 (862 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Help my game keep crashing

@winterr7456  I see how this could be an issue.  For the page file size, in your second screenshot, try setting the current size to 3072 MB and the max to 4096 MB.  It's a small amount of storage to sacrifice for a proportionally much larger gain in virtual memory.

The other problem is that your computer is using too much RAM just at startup.  When I restart my computer, Windows is only using 2.0 GB memory, which would be 50% of yours, so the question is what else is running.  In the Task Manager, make sure you're in detail mode, then click the Startup tab at the top.  Please post a screenshot of this list.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 34 of 42 (1,019 Views)

All Replies

@winterr7456  Please try playing a new save in a clean user folder, for comparison, and let me know whether it crashes.  Move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just see whether you can play a new save without any crashing.

If the new save crashes too, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 2 of 42 (828 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

here you go !

Message 3 of 42 (807 Views)

@winterr7456  Unfortunately, this site's virus scanner decided to stop working this morning, so I can't see your uploaded dxdiag.  If you want me to look at it right now, please upload it to a free filesharing site and link it here; otherwise, I'll check back when the virus scanner is working again, which could be any time from a few hours to a few days from now.

Message 4 of 42 (802 Views)

Message 5 of 42 (796 Views)

@winterr7456  And just like that, the virus scanner decided to work again.  At least it didn't take five days to get fixed this time.

Anyway, the major issue in your dxdiag is that your hard drive has less than 5 GB free storage.  That's not enough space for Windows to maneuver properly even without the temp files that running Sims 4 will create.  Having 20 GB free is a good goal, but 15 should be enough to eliminate this as a source of errors.  If you still get crashes with 15 GB free, we can move onto other potential causes.

There are also a couple of errors in your dxdiag related to the Windows USB 3 driver.  The underlying issue is less likely to be the driver than a device you have connected or its own driver, but the point is if you get more crashes, it's worth disconnecting any peripherals that use a USB connection, at least long enough to test.

Finally, it's not likely to be causing your crashes, but your Windows build is over a year old and will lose support in a few months.  So it's a good idea to start thinking about updating.  As it happens, you need 20 GB free on your Windows drive (your only hard drive, in this case) in order to be able to update through the usual methods, although using a USB stick to update would bring the number down.  This isn't urgent, just something to think about.

Message 6 of 42 (774 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

How would I upgrade my gb to 20g

Message 7 of 42 (768 Views)

@winterr7456  It's not an upgrade.  Your computer has a 120 GB hard drive, and of all that space, only 4.7 GB is currently unused.  Windows creates temporary files when it's running alone, and it creates more when it runs other applications, like Sims 4 for example.  So that 4.7 GB can get completely used up in one session, and then programs start crashing.

Message 8 of 42 (756 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

so i have put my game on a hard drive so i cant have space and it still crashes 

Message 9 of 42 (721 Views)

@winterr7456  Please run a new dxdiag, so I can see any new errors.  You should be able to attach it directly to a post again.

Message 10 of 42 (688 Views)