Re: Help my game keep crashing

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Message 31 of 42 (649 Views)

@winterr7456  Yes, that's the file I was looking for.  It shows Sims 4 crashed because it was out of memory.  While you don't have much RAM installed, the game and Windows typically do a good enough job of sharing that you should at least be able to play a new save.

Please restart your computer and open the Task Manager (right-click on the Taskbar and select it) without opening any other applications.  Let me know how much memory is being used right then.  The overall number will show as a percentage, but that's fine.  Please also click the Startup tab and take a screenshot of the list of startup apps.

Next, hit Windows key-R and copy and paste this into the box:

SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe

Enter, and in the pop-up, click the Advanced tab.  Take a screenshot of that, then click Change under Virtual Memory and take a screenshot of that pop-up.  Don't actually change any settings; I want to see what it says first.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 32 of 42 (632 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

okay the number was 73%

Message 33 of 42 (609 Views)
Highlighted

@winterr7456  I see how this could be an issue.  For the page file size, in your second screenshot, try setting the current size to 3072 MB and the max to 4096 MB.  It's a small amount of storage to sacrifice for a proportionally much larger gain in virtual memory.

The other problem is that your computer is using too much RAM just at startup.  When I restart my computer, Windows is only using 2.0 GB memory, which would be 50% of yours, so the question is what else is running.  In the Task Manager, make sure you're in detail mode, then click the Startup tab at the top.  Please post a screenshot of this list.

Message 34 of 42 (1,075 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Message 35 of 42 (587 Views)

[ Edited ]

@winterr7456  There are several apps you really don't need to have enabled at startup.  Try disabling Opera Browser Assistant and WinZip Update Notifier to start with; you can right-click on each one to see the option.  Personally, I'd disable everything on the list, but you can start with those two and see how much RAM your computer is using on startup.

To be clear, you can always open these programs manually.  The distinction is that they shouldn't be running when you're not using them, especially with how little memory your computer has.

For the Program entry, I don't know what that is, and it might be a problem.  Please right-click on it and select "Open file location," then copy the file location, above the list of files and folders, and paste it here.

Message 36 of 42 (583 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

sorry which one is program entry  

Message 37 of 42 (576 Views)

@winterr7456  In the screenshot you posted, there's an entry in the list called "Program."  Please right-click on it, select "Open file location," and post the file path, as described.

Message 38 of 42 (542 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

its not letting me for sum reason 

Message 39 of 42 (527 Views)

@winterr7456  Okay, let's leave that for now.  Please try playing Sims 4 and let me know how it goes.  Restart your computer first, and change the page file settings (a few posts back) if you haven't already.

Message 40 of 42 (523 Views)