by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Help! Laptop for simming?

★★★ Guide

I'm looking into buying a new laptop, these are the specs:

• AMD Ryzen 5 3500U
  • 8 GB DDR4 RAM, 256 GB SSD
  • AMD Radeon Vega 8

(https://www.gigantti.fi/product/tietokoneet-ja-toimistotarvikkeet/tietokoneet/kannettavat-tietokonee...

^this is the link to the one I'm looking into, the page is in Finnish - I wasn't able to find the same machine on any english websites)

I don't need the best graphic settings or don't even mind a bit of lagging, just need it to be "playable" if you catch my drift.

Will I be ok with this? With nearly all packs, no mods/CC?

Much appreciated if puzzlesaddict or anyone else is out there to help me <3

Message 1 of 4 (226 Views)

Re: Help! Laptop for simming?

@adduapina  No idea what you're talking about; there are definitely no puzzle addicts around here.

This laptop should be able to handle Sims 4 on low-medium or medium graphics settings, depending on your playstyle (how many sims in a household, how many objects on a lot, that sort of thing).  I don't see anything better for a comparable price, at least on this site; the next option up is somewhat more expensive:

https://www.gigantti.fi/product/tietokoneet-ja-toimistotarvikkeet/tietokoneet/kannettavat-tietokonee...

This laptop is a significant upgrade as well, being maybe 30% faster in gaming, on average, which would mean medium-high or high graphics settings in Sims 4.  But it's not worth stretching your budget past the point of comfort; the one you linked would still run all current packs together without any real trouble.

On the other hand, the upgrade would absolutely be worth it if you ever want to play Sims 3 on this laptop.  That game doesn't run well on a 3500U, from what I've seen, at least once you add in Pets or Seasons.  However, the i5-1135G7 can handle all packs together on high settings.

If you'd like me to look at other sites as well, feel free to link them.  The Finnish is a bit of a challenge, but I can figure out how to find the important information if I try.  It's almost like... a puzzle.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (202 Views)

★★★ Guide
@puzzlezaddict oh dear, so sorry for misspelling your nick! Trusted my memories - should've checked Standard smile

You know, you're a treasure, right? And truly a worthy hero. I'm (once again) in your debt for your insight. Thank you ! <3

Regarding my playstyle - sounds like I might need to go on the low end on the graphics settings haha.

I would be willing to stretch my budget but it really weighs more for me that I'll be able to pick up the one I linked on Friday rather than wait for a week or so for the better one... I am in a dire need of a computer right now, but not for simming sadly (how I wish I could prioritize gaming higher), just plain .doc-stuff, but it's my minimum requirement for a new device to run TS4 Standard smile

I've been unable to play since 6/2021 when my late-13 macbook pro decided to turn into a portal to hell (the heat, the noise, I tell ya) whenever trying to start the game, but I've been able to do the the other-than-simming stuff still, but now "the old faithful" finally needed to be let go and I'm just super happy I get something with my budget that allows me to play again.

And I'm happy going to the store knowing I've had my choice "puzzlezaddict-verified" before trusting a shady sellsperson or my gut feeling and googling abilities on a subject very foreign to me Standard smile

So, thanks once more and sorry for the ramble - I'm on maternity leave and clearly low on conversational contact :,D
Message 3 of 4 (178 Views)

@adduapina  I don't mind the little bit of (rambling), and I wasn't actually commenting on how you spelled my username, just trying to pretend that I didn't know who you were talking about.  Like the "no one here but us chickens" cliche.

Anyway, if there are in fact other stores you'd want me to look at, I'd still be happy to do so, but I understand needing a computer right now and being willing to settle for something good enough.  On that note, as I said, this one should be good enough, and I'm glad you don't need to navigate a horde of salespeople with dubious credentials and even more dubious motives.

And a hearty congratulations on your recent or impending arrival.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (165 Views)