Have to load household twice to have over 15fps

by oaana

Original Post

Have to load household twice to have over 15fps

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Hello! 

It's been since the release of the ECO pack that I have this issue. Everytime I load a household for the first time my game is stuck to 15 fps. I can't do anything about it except going back in the map and open this same household again. Then everything is fine, i have my usual fps. Once the household is into my "played household", it's fine. I've tried reinstalling, nothing changed. Last time I tried to run the game with kits and expansion but eco pack and I didn't seem to reproduce this issue. I thought this would be fixed with the two updates but it's still there, and even if i can play by loading household two time, it's still very annoying.

Any idea?

Message 1 of 15 (1,282 Views)

Re: Have to load household twice to have over 15fps

@oaana  That is quite strange.  Does it make a difference if you play while your computer is offline?  How about a new save versus an existing one?  I'd be curious what exactly is going on with your system, if you're willing to do some hardware monitoring.  Let me know.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 15 (1,241 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I've tried without internet (if it's what you mean, and it still happens)

I've tried to disable ECO pack only and I don't have this issue anymore so i feel like it's linked to this last pack exactly.

I've tried to update my internet driver too and it didn't help at all ^^.

Let me know if you have any idea or need any informations (:

Message 3 of 15 (1,230 Views)

@oaana  That's interesting: it sounds like one of the Eco Lifestyle features is getting in the way when you initially load into a household.  I would love to know whether this happens to any household, in any world.  You don't need to test all of them, just maybe a few in different neighborhoods, and please let me know what the eco footprint is in each.  Please test a few households in a new save too.  The eco footprints will be their defaults, and the neighborhood action plan nonsense won't have had a chance to manifest, or at least not much.

For what it's worth, I haven't seen this myself, but I've only been looking in new saves, so I couldn't say whether longer-running saves would be affected in my game too.

Message 4 of 15 (1,204 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddictFirst of all thanks for your answer. I'm gonna do step by step and write what i can see at the same time (: I kinda messed up my previous save as I already visited these households and saved after all so they are in my "known households" and this fps problem only appears when I never loaded a household for the first time. I don't plan to play on this save anymore so i'm just gonna start fresh.

EVERGREEN HARBOR

top neighborhood, positive footprint, green

harris family

no fps drop when i arrive but as soon as i click build mode i'm stuck to 13fps.

if i close build mode it carries over life. 15 to 18 fps.

if i load it a second time, everything is fine.

middle neighborhood, industrial footprint, yellow

Sterling Rico family

BRINDLETON BAY

top neighborhood, neutral footprint, grey

Hecking family

DEL SOL VALLEY

top left neighborhood, neutral footprint, grey

Jeong Family

WINDENBURG

top neighborhood, neutral footprint, grey

Fyres family

Alright it's getting a bit repetitive now. On my previous save, I saw the fps drop as soon as I joined the household for the first time or when I opened build mode. But on this one it's everytime I open the build mode apparently :/

GPU stuck under 20% usage whenever this arrives.

Message 5 of 15 (1,158 Views)

@oaana  Thanks for the very thorough report, and I think that's more than enough to establish a clear pattern.  This does sound like the earlier issue in the thread where you and several others were posting, the one that appeared to be temporarily resolved.  I'm not totally sure what's going on, but I'd love to see an hwinfo log, just in case there's some other component that's not performing as it should.  If you're willing to run one now, please download hwinfo from here:

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

You don't need to install anything if you don't want to; just choose the Portable version, unzip it, and launch it from Downloads or wherever you want.  (If you would like to install, be sure to click the green button, not the orange one.)  Restart your computer, and don't open any other apps.  Launch hwinfo, choose "sensors only," and click the icon that's a sheet of paper with a + sign to start logging.  Save the file to your desktop for easy access later.

Wait five minutes, then launch Sims 4, and load three or four households in succession, just as you did this last time.  It would be especially helpful if you could note the time where fps dropped in each one, relative to when hwinfo started logging, e.g. launched Sims 4 at 5:00, loaded household X at 6:30, opened build mode and saw fps drop at 7:00, etc.  The numbers don't have to be perfect; I'm just hoping that I see a drop or spike in some statistic that I can tie to each one.

Click the same button to end logging.  Then upload the log to a third-party free filehosting site and link it here.  Please leave it in .csv format, or if you use OneDrive to share, please compress it in .zip format instead.  Please also upload another dxdiag, since your computer has probably installed some updates since the last one you ran.

I'm sorry I can't come up with anything better than how about you test more and give me some more info, at least not at this point.  But hopefully some detail will stand out in the hwinfo log.  If I don't see anything, I'll ask for a second opinion.

Message 6 of 15 (1,138 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict  I made a folder with all the things you asked to make it easier for you, I hope. Let me know if you need anymore informations and thank you a lot for the support!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k5P9Ogi2AJfdTnMbuT1A8_FpRqVrYLxq/view?usp=sharing

I've corrected some information in this, i can't change into the zip anymore so i'll just copypaste it here

opened origin (4:00)
launched the game (5:00)
game fully loaded (8:08) always long the first time i load after restarting my pc

load my save (8:37)

loaded household in Evergreen harbor, top neighborhood, harris family (9:25)
open build mode (10:00)no fps drop in build mode
back into life sim (10:35) fps drop
back on map (11:15)
load the same household (11:35)
open build mode (11:50)
no fps drop in life and build mode anymore

loaded household in Evergreen harbor, middle neighborhood, Greenburg family (13:00)
open build mode (13:30) no fps drop
back into life sim (13:55) no fps drop

loaded household in Evergreen harbor, middle neighborhood, Sterling Rico (14:45)
open build mode (15:05)no fps drop
back into map living mode(15:20) fps drop
back on map (16:10)
loaded this same house hold (16:23)

loaded household in Brindleton Bay, top neighborhood, Hecking family (18:00)
open build mode (18:40)
fps drop (18:40)
back to sim life (19:00) still drop fps
back into map (19:30)
loaded this same house hold (19:40)

loaded household in Sulani, bottom neighborhood, Hoapili family (21:00)
open build mode (21:30)
fps drop (21:30)
back to sim life (22:00) still fps drop
back into map (22:25)
loaded this same house hold (22:40)

close the game (23:40)

Message 7 of 15 (1,105 Views)

@oaana  Sorry for the late reply; I've been a bit busy with other stuff. 

Before getting into the hwinfo log itself, there are a couple things to note.  One is that a component of Razer Synapse is crashing.  Please try playing without Synapse running; you can end it in the Task Manager before launching Sims 4.  You're also running low on storage on your C drive.  While it might not account for the Sims 4 issues,  could, and it should be addressed regardless.  Having at least 20 GB free is a good goal and should eliminate free storage as a possible contributing factor.

Finally, it looks like your monitor is plugged into the motherboard on your computer.  Please instead plug it into the graphics card.  In case you need a diagram, I often borrow this one from someone else (he doesn't mind):

GPU port.jpg

For the hwinfo log itself, there is one concerning reading, and that's the voltage on your power supply.  From the age of the other hardware in your computer, I'm guessing the PSU is about four years old, which isn't too old by itself.  But its voltage drops might be enough to cause problems soon, if not now.  If you do start to see issues, especially restarts, the PSU would be the first suspect.

I also see a lot of fluctuation of the GPU's core load and video clock, although they don't seem to correspond to the voltage drops from the PSU, so they're not necessarily related.  Both drop way down when you go into Map View or (usually) load Built/Buy, which isn't surprising.  What's more surprising is how inconsistent they are when you're not loading anything, often but not exclusively when you get low fps.  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your graphics card, more that I see how you could get inconsistent fps for no apparent reason.

It's entirely possible that this is due to your plugging the monitor into the motherboard.  When you do that, the integrated chip gets used too, at least some of the time, and the system has to decide when to switch back and forth.  If it's making the wrong decision at certain points and letting the integrated chip run the game, you'd see very low fps, maybe in the range of 10-15 like you've described.  But it kind of sounds like you've found a way to force it to use the dedicated card again, i.e. going to Map View and loading the house a second time.

This is total speculation, especially because the dedicated card is still active when you get the fps drops.  There aren't many stats on the integrated chip, so I can only guess what it's doing.  But it would be interesting to know whether this problem is still present when the 970 is running things without interference.

And thanks for the very thorough report.  Of course it was helpful information, but it was also fascinating to see what was going on in your computer while you played, and to match your timestamps with the graphs.

Message 8 of 15 (1,031 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddictHi. I have my second monitor plugged into my MB because it's a VGA port and I don't have this port on my GPU ^^. This being said, it's been years it's like this and I never had a single issue with it. But to be sure I removed my second monitor and only tried with one and... I still have this issue.

I also only have this issue with ECO pack... when I disable it on origins, the fps drop is gone. So I think it's in the game/ECO pack side. I've search my problem on google and I found so many people having the same issue.

Sometimes I have to reload the map, sometimes just clicking on the "..." remove the 15 fps and goes back to 60.

I've come up to the conclusion my only solution is to uninstall ECO until they fix it. Frown

Message 9 of 15 (989 Views)

@puzzlezaddict  Thanks for tagging.

@oaana 

oaana wrote:

puzzlezaddictHi. I have my second monitor plugged into my MB because it's a VGA port and I don't have this port on my GPU ^^. This being said, it's been years it's like this and I never had a single issue with it. But to be sure I removed my second monitor and only tried with one and... I still have this issue.

You unplugged the Monitor as the Computer was shut down or you restarted the system if not? 

Do you have VSync enabled in game or in the driver? If so disable it > Test.

If that also don't helps, preform a clean boot and test the Game in clean boot mode.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 10 of 15 (929 Views)