Re: Has my laptop had its time to shine??

by aly975

Original Post

Hero (Retired)

@aly975  Right after I finished the reply to your post my computer just shut down. I was using an old ps2 keyboard  and I couldn't get the keyboard to work on this computer. So I took the computer to another location and the computer boots. I take it back and no keyboard. I take the keyboard to another location and the keyboard works. I can not get the ps2 keyboard port to work (again). I put a usb keyboard in and now I'm working again. It's an Asrock motherboard and I think it's time to get a Gigabyte motherboard. You must have the chip its just a matter of getting the right driver to make it work right. AND you have the better chip. Like I said everything you wanted to know and more.  Run dxdiag once more and see if the 740 is picked up.

Message 21 of 25 (194 Views)

★ Apprentice

@roberta591 oh wow! yeah for sure get a motherboard that will work better and actually have the keyboard work properly this time haha. 

Thats great i have the better chip, is there different drivers i can download?? i still dont know much about graphics cards and how to get them to work etc. im not sure what types of drivers i could test out to make the chip actually work. Also, i ran dxdiag again and i have attached it could you check to see if it is picked up? its all like some foreign language to me, i tried looking it over, i did see a section that has the nvidia 740m but so did the first dxdiag i ran so im not sure what section i need to be looking at to see if the laptop is actually picking up the chip.

Message 22 of 25 (180 Views)

★ Apprentice

@roberta591 sorry for the double reply but i was google searching how to get your laptop to recognize the nvidia 740m and came across a forum and one of the replies said this - 

"hello, so I was having the same problem. for me the solution was very simple. Just open your bios menu when you restarting your pc (in my case it was F2, i am using acer). in the bios menu go to MAIN then select the graphic card from integrated to swichible. Save and restart and all problems gone"

Is this worth a try or would that be something that could really mess up my laptop? i have never tried changing bios before.

Message 23 of 25 (176 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@aly975  It is worth checking the bios but be aware different manufacturers may do thing different as today you have the UEFI to make changes in the bios. The bios is still there but now you have a different interface and you can now have more then 2Tb in a partition. there are more small differences but for backwards compatibility the bios is still there but going away fast. It is worth a check but beware there may be an option like that but worded different.

Message 24 of 25 (168 Views)

★ Apprentice

@roberta591 so i checked the bios (was following a video tutorial to figure out how to get there and find the graphics device option to change it from integrated to discrete) but my bios had no such option in the configuration part of it.. what does this mean now? 

Message 25 of 25 (154 Views)