Re: How to fix problem when Sims 3 or 4 won't reinstall

by crinrict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[HOW TO] Fix problem when Sims 3 or 4 won't reinstall

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

After losing both Sims 3 and 4 due to trying to reinstall them and seeing many people had the same problem over the years and never got a solution I thought I should pass the solution on.

I attempted to move my Sims 3 and 4 folders to relocate them to a different drive, and chaos ensued. I followed every manual uninstall, got on the phone with EA, live chat, scoured the internet, edited my registry, got cc cleaner and revo uninstaller, only to find no solution. Over and over, day after day, the same issue, no matter how much I deleted, downloaded, or reinstalled Origin, followed directions and manually fussed.

Origin will prompt that the game can be installed, but clicking the install button will not work, and the process gets as far as that. Infinite install button clicking.

The solution is to make hidden files visible, go to "Program Files (x86)" then "Common Files" the "EAInstaller" Inside the "EAInstaller" folder you will see "Sims 3" and "Sims 4" folders, depending on your game. Delete these folders and your game will install as it should once again.

Someone, anyone, on planet Earth, please add this do the manual uninstall pages EA has for Sims 3 and 4 so no one ever has to go through this again.

I uninstalled Origin and reinstalled it after deleting these folders. Unknown if this is necessary as I did not try. I suspect not, but it is the course I took in case any one else tries.

Message 1 of 4 (1,070 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

The game implies it is installed by the progress bar at the bottom of Origin.  However, the orange install button you use when you hover over the game remains "install" forever, and the game is never really installed or playable..  You never get a "play" button.  Always an "install" button.  No amount of deleting or re-downloading fixed the problem.  These folders remained, even after using software to clean things up, and made the game uninstallable.    

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (1,143 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

HI @Simsalot99

thanks for this info.

Is this the error where the install buttons instantly goes back to saying it's installed after you press it ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 4 (1,059 Views)

★★ Novice

The game implies it is installed by the progress bar at the bottom of Origin.  However, the orange install button you use when you hover over the game remains "install" forever, and the game is never really installed or playable..  You never get a "play" button.  Always an "install" button.  No amount of deleting or re-downloading fixed the problem.  These folders remained, even after using software to clean things up, and made the game uninstallable.    

Message 3 of 4 (1,144 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Great.

Thanks for posting :D

I'm going to accept your second post as solution to highlight the thread.

Also making sure your thread gets added to the index

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 4 (1,029 Views)