HELP! sims 4 is crashing

by wiixe

Original Post

HELP! sims 4 is crashing

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I just got my hands on the new Snow pack. 
But everytime i install a new pack or update the game it crashes before i even get the startup screen. Usually takes MONTHS before it decides to work again, and i never know what the problem was ro how it was fixed lol. 
I do use CC and mods, but always remove them from the folders before installing/updating. And i always check to see if the game is working propertly before adding them back in. 
I did a DxDiag nbut since im no computer tech it just looks like pure greek heh.. So can someone pls take a look and see if there's any problem here? 
thanks

Message 1 of 10 (711 Views)

Re: HELP! sims 4 is crashing

@wiixe  First of all, your version of Windows is almost three years old and is out of support now.  Is there a specific reason you haven't updated?  It's difficult to say whether this is causing your problems, at least in part, so it would be helpful to update and go from there.  Let me know if you need help updating, or if there's a particular reason you'd prefer not to.

In the interim, try playing in a clean user folder.  Move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just start a new save and let me know how it runs.

If you still get crashes, try uninstalling and reinstalling the VC++ 2015-2019 runtimes, which are listed in the Sims 4 errors and which the game uses.  Click Windows key-i, select Apps, and scroll down to the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables.  Click on the 2015 (or 2017, or 2015-2019) versions, both x86 and x64, and Uninstall.  (Don't touch the versions from any other year.)  Then download and install new versions directly from Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

You need both the x86 and x64 versions, but you can skip the ARM version, which is for a different class of device.  Restart your computer before trying to play.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 10 (679 Views)

★★ Novice

I didn't even notice my windows was outdated lol.. it's updated now tho. 
i tried everything you suggested but it still chrashes.. what am i doing wrong? 

Message 3 of 10 (650 Views)

@wiixe  Please run a new dxdiag, so I can see whether there are any new interesting errors.

Message 4 of 10 (642 Views)

★★ Novice

sure thing

Message 5 of 10 (617 Views)

@wiixe  There are more VC++ runtime errors in your new dxdiag, which should have been addressed by reinstalling the 2019 runtimes.  But those errors can be a bit deceptive—sometimes they're related to user content and not the runtimes themselves.

So try playing in a clean user folder, not just without mods and custom content but with none of your user files.  Move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to it yet; just start a new save and see how it runs.

Message 6 of 10 (596 Views)

★★ Novice

The game do run if I start up a clean folder, but won't run on the same folder the next day. Aka, i need to whipe and startup on a clean folder every time.. It works, but it's really annoying since it takes a lot of time to add all the mods and stuff back. 
It's not really what i wanted ofc, but if this is the only solution then i can live with it.

Message 7 of 10 (572 Views)

@wiixe  The next time you've created a clean folder and the game doesn't work the next day, rather than creating yet another clean folder, try removing files a few at a time until it does work.  There are only a few files and folders that you'd want to preserve anyway; maybe you'll find that deleting one or two extraneous files is enough.  If this does help, I'd be curious to know which file or files need to be removed.

Message 8 of 10 (551 Views)

★★ Novice

i tried re:moving one/a couple folders at a time but nothing seems to be working.. i still have to do a clean startup Confused

Message 9 of 10 (525 Views)

[ Edited ]

@wiixe  What antivirus program do you use, and have you tried adding exceptions for TS4_x64.exe and Origin.exe?

Have you set Windows to compress your files to save disk space?  Click on any folder and select Properties, then General > Advanced, and you'll see a box for the option; it should be unchecked for the Documents directory as well as the Electronic Arts and Sims 4 folders inside.  Please look at all three folders.

Message 10 of 10 (518 Views)