HELP! I cant play or use settings

by Kwill042009

Original Post

HELP! I cant play or use settings

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hello, so I really need help.  When I go into the sims 4, the play button is slightly see through and I can't open the sims 4 on origin.  I have also found out that when I press settings, most of the options don't work.  I do have cc if that could be causing the problem.  Edit; I am playing on a PC if that is helpful.

Message 1 of 7 (281 Views)

Re: HELP! I cant play or use settings

@Kwill042009  The most common cause for issues like these is an out of date mod that affects the user interface, e.g. UI Cheats.  So please try removing that as well as any mods by TwistedMexi, if you have them.  Delete localthumbcache.package as well.

If that doesn't help, or you don't have those mods, move your entire Mods folder to the desktop, delete localthumbcache (again), and test.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 7 (248 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@puzzlezaddict , thank you for your advice but I still have the still have the same problem.  Do I delete all of the files that say cache or just the localthumbcache.package?

Message 3 of 7 (220 Views)

@Kwill042009  The other cache files generally don't cause issues, but to address those and any other potential corrupt files all at once, try playing in a clean user folder.  Move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you launch the game, a new folder will spawn with no content.  (Your saves and other content will be intact in the folder you moved but temporarily not read by the game.)  Don't add anything to the new folder yet; just see whether you have the same issues.

Message 4 of 7 (213 Views)

★★★ Newbie

OMG TYYYY! U ARE AMAZING!

Message 5 of 7 (197 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Oh its not working again.  When I exited the problem seemed as though resolved, but then after a few seconds it was glitched/broken again.

Message 6 of 7 (196 Views)

@Kwill042009  Is this with no mods or custom content in the game?  Did you change any of the graphics settings?  And if you're running any other apps while you play, or even if something is running in the background (like Discord), please close that to see whether it makes a difference.

You can also try switching between fullscreen and windowed modes when this happens.

Message 7 of 7 (173 Views)