Graphics card!!

by lalalaain

Original Post

Graphics card!!

★ Novice

I need help getting my game to recognize my sims 3 graphics card! I have an AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics card.

Message 1 of 9 (673 Views)

Re: Graphics card!!

[ Edited ]

@lalalaain  I can help with that.  I just need a couple of details about your card.  Please go into Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3, open the file labeled deviceconfig.log, copy the information between "Graphics device info" (about 25 lines down) and "Options" (about 40 lines down), and paste it here.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 9 (656 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I'm also having this problem. However, my Deviceconfig.log folder is basically empty 

(I only have 2 lines, Options & Default options) nothing more.

Are you able to help me correct this problem? Standard smile

Message 3 of 9 (572 Views)

@TheBurden69  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Message 4 of 9 (557 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Unfortuanly, the file is too big (photo) too attach. 

But if you let me know specifically what info you're looking for, I can put it in a comment?

Message 5 of 9 (552 Views)

@TheBurden69  I'd like to see the whole file; there are several different sections with potentially useful information.  I don't want a photo though.  Please let the dxdiag run, then click "save all information," save the file to your desktop, and attach it to a post.  The .txt file should be well within the size limit on this site.

Message 6 of 9 (531 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I have fixed the issue with Origin; its now working properly.

However, the graphics issue continues. 

Attaching dx

Message 7 of 9 (519 Views)

★★ Guide

Did you try updating your graphics driver? Sometimes an outdated driver can cause a game to go kablooey.

Message 8 of 9 (480 Views)

@TheBurden69  It looks like you have a driver support app installed on your computer.  If it's this one:

https://www.driversupport.com/dsone-uninstall-guide/

Please uninstall it.  It's better to update manually, so you know what you're getting; or let Windows update, because it will provide certified downloads from primary sources (Intel, Nvidia, etc.).

Please also run a couple of checks on your Windows system files.  A number of the errors in your dxdiag point to problems with a basic Windows service, one that shouldn't have any trouble running.  Here's how to run the checks:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Updating your GPU driver would be a good idea, although it's best to hold off if sfc reports it found corrupt files and was unable to repair some of them.  Let me know if this happens.  Otherwise, you can get the latest driver for your card here:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/159887/en-us

Restart your computer before and after installing.  Be sure to download it manually, not through GeForce Experience or another app; and run it as an admin, as in, right-click on the download and select "Run as administrator."  Once it's installed and you've restarted, launch the game and see whether deviceconfig.log has more data.

By the way, is there a reason your computer only has 4 GB memory?  That seems quite low considering your other hardware.  While Sims 3 should run anyway, multitasking might be difficult.  And if you have more memory installed but the computer isn't reading it, that kind of system issue could cause all kinds of errors.

Message 9 of 9 (464 Views)