Re: Graphics card question

by Caderator1776

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Graphics card question

★★★★ Novice

I have a small form factor computer and looking to add in a graphics card - can you tell me if any of these will be compatible for base game and all expansion packs?

EVGA GeForce GT 1030 SC 2GB GDDR5

AMD Radeon R5 240, 1GB

NVIDIA Quadro K620

Radeon 5570

AMD Radeon R5 340

Message 1 of 17 (1,290 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★ Novice
@EA_Mai yes it's working perfect. I started to get lag after a factory reset with no custom content but I swear that content is still somewhere saved. So I went back to my old file and deleted over 5gb of custom content from the launcher, deleted downloads folder, cleared caches, deleted .tmp files in DC cache. I kept some custom content, very minimal and kept my favorite mods. Game loads quick, saves wuick with no lag at all. I also dedicated 4gb ram to my game instead of 2gb.

My computer isn't top notch but it can certainly handle the game on high graphics. I went a bit crazy one day adding in custom houses and I'm believing that's where the problem lied.

View in thread

Message 16 of 17 (1,443 Views)

All Replies

Message 2 of 17 (1,276 Views)

Message 3 of 17 (1,274 Views)

★★ Novice

these graphics cards are only 2gb so it will run but at low graphics sorry for all the replies 

Message 4 of 17 (1,273 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Use this website to see if your computer is combatable with the video games that you want.

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Message 5 of 17 (1,269 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thanks! I will look into those

Message 6 of 17 (1,257 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@mimibelle6 My computer is compatible to run Sims 3 - I've been playing for years on it with no problem. The only problem that I am having at the moment is when I click on my sim or another sim, it takes like 5-7 seconds for the pie menu to show. If I click on anything else, the menu pops up immediately. I was told to add in a dedicated memory card which I'm not sure if that is actually going to fix the problem. My graphics look great, no distortion, no lag with settings on high or low. Only the slight lag with the interaction menu. 

Message 7 of 17 (1,255 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@magiconearth  Most small form factor computers require special considerations. Many require a half height cards due to case space. Quite often small form factor computers have non standard power supplies which limit upgrade possibilities. Please provide make and model of your computer.

Message 8 of 17 (1,250 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@roberta591 It's a Dell Optiplex 3020

Message 9 of 17 (1,248 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@magiconearth  From what I can tell the Dell comes with a 255W power supply which is low for today's gaming cards so I would imagine you would have to upgrade the power supply with any video card you add but the power supply is non standard and may be difficult to upgrade. You will probably have to find a half height video card to fit in the open video slot. Half height video cards are typically lower performance cards due to space limitations. Your computer uses DDR3 memory (I think because Dell used the same model number for several SFF computers) which is old technology as most computers use DDR4 memory modules today. I would recommend getting a new (newer) computer as investing in upgrades would not increase the value of your computer.

Message 10 of 17 (1,244 Views)