Dot.: Graphics Driver Issue

by kreatora

Original Post

Graphics Driver Issue

★★★ Novice

Yesterday I installed Sims 4 onto my laptop. When trying to open it, an error message popped up saying "Unable to start: Can't run The Sims 4 with the video card in this system. Please check that the video card meets the minimum specifications and that the latest video drivers are installed."

I have tried to research for a solution and tried to work out what it could be. I am not very good with computers so am unsure if what I have been trying is anywhere close to correct. However, I think it is not working because for some reason the display adapter is "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter".

There is a sticker on my laptop saying Intel core 1.5 so I was under the impression that Sims 4 would be compatible with my laptop. I have visited the Intel website where I was able to find information on my laptop.

The link for it is here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

I'm not sure if you will be able to see the information for my laptop when clicking on that link. If not, the operating system is Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), the processor is intel core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHZ and the chipset is Intel 7 series/C216 Chipset Family.

I found on a website some instructions to get me to change the graphics driver. I went to control panel and then to device manager. I then right clicked on "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" and then clicked "Update Driver Software" then "Browse my computer for driver software" then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". The only option that came up was "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter".

I unticked the box where it said "Show Compatible Hardware". I tried to install all the different intel options that I could see after selecting this, however when doing so it resulted in a message saying that windows encountered a problem when installing it as the driver selected for this device does not support this version of windows. I even attempted to do this again while my laptop was in safe mode with the internet and firewall turned off.

With the information, I found before I searched for the graphics driver which would be correct. I found the following:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24971/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-64-bit?prod...

I tried to install the self-installing format but this came up with an error message telling me it was not compatible. I then tried to install the format for developers and It professionals. After downloading I tried to install this through the device manager, however, it would not show when I browsed for the file.

Is there anything that can be done to solve this problem? Or should I give up now and just try to return Sims 4?

Message 1 of 8 (560 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@butterbeanbobble

I am very sorry but your graphics card does not meet the requirements of the game, so even if you install the appropriate drivers, the game will not turn on.
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/READ-FIRST-Make-sure-you-meet-minimum-requirements-PC/...
By the way, try these drivers if you have Win7 system. 
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/21129/USB-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Control...

I don't work for EA

Message 2 of 8 (551 Views)

★★★ Novice

So is there no way I'll be able to play Sims 4 on my laptop?

Message 3 of 8 (548 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Sorry but no, your graphics card is to weak.

Message 4 of 8 (543 Views)

★★★ Novice

Is there a way to change my graphics card? I really want to play the sims Frown

Message 5 of 8 (539 Views)
Highlighted

Hero (Retired)
On a desktop computer, it would be possible although this is still an uneconomic solution but in a laptop unfortunately not. There is simply no place for a non-integrated graphics card, a new more powerful power supply, and probably more items including probably a new processor.
To play you need to have a different, more powerful laptop.
Message 6 of 8 (521 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you for all your responses. I have returned Sims 4 now. Do you know if Sims 3 would work on my laptop?

Message 7 of 8 (511 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@bobbiebrightmore 

The base game - yes and maybe earlier additions. But Paradise Island will throw you out of the game.

Message 8 of 8 (432 Views)