Graphics Card Help

by Sunset_Gossip

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Graphics Card Help

★★★ Novice

Hey! I recently switched from desktop to laptop but I'm struggling to get my graphics card memorised. It says found 0 matched 1 on the device config which I assume means it's not been recognised. I can do most of the matching process but it's just the last part where you have to write in graphics cards.sgr, although if anyone could show me the whole process with my card just to make sure I've done it right then that'd be grand! I'll put the necessary part of my deviceconfig down below. Any help would be really appreciated Standard smile

=== Rating info ===
GPU: 1 GPU Memory: 1 CPU: 3 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2592 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 3056 RAM: 16145 Adjusted RAM: 15633 Cores: 6
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows 8 6.2.9200
OS prod type: 0
OS major ver: 6
OS minor ver: 2
OS SP major ver: 0
OS SP minor ver: 0
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: GenuineIntel
Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
Family: 6
Model: 5
Cores: 6
HT: 1
x64: 0
Memory: 16145MB
Free memory: 9387MB
Computer: DESKTOP-8TCHS29
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design [Found: 0, Matched: 1]
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 1f14, Board: 09e21028, Chipset: 00a1
Driver: nvldumd.dll, Version: 27.21.14.5206, GUID: D7B71E3E-5C54-11CF-CE67-EC291BC2D635
Driver version: 5206
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1

Message 1 of 3 (313 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Graphics Card Help

@Sunset_Gossip  Please also start with a fresh copy of graphicsrules.sgr.  Since the entries in it and graphicscards.sgr need to match, it's easier to start clean.  If you didn't save the original copies of the files, you can repair the game in Origin to restore them: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 3 icon, and select Repair.

For the edits themselves, here's what you need to do:

Spoiler

Note:  These instructions only apply to and will only work for the original poster's graphics card.  If you'd like help getting your own card recognized, please post the same information from deviceconfig and ask for help.

Open graphicscards.sgr (Notepad works fine), and crtl-F to search for 10de.  That will take you to these lines:

vendor "NVIDIA" 0x10b4 0x12d2 0x10de
card 0x0fd1 "GeForce GT 650M"
card 0x0fd2 "GeForce GT 640M"

Create a new line under the "Nvidia" line, copy this text, and paste it in the new line:

card 0x1f14 "GeForce RTX 2070"

So you should now see this:

(with indents from spaces that this site isn't displaying properly).  Save, quit, and open graphicsrules.sgr.  Crtl-F and search for 8800, which will take you here:

elseif (match("${cardName}", "*8800*") or match("${cardName}", "*9500*") or match("${cardName}", "*9600 GSO*") or match("${cardName}", [etc.]

Change the bolded 8800 to RTX 2070.  Don't change anything else, not even the asterisks.  This will classify your card as uber.

Finally, scroll back to the top of graphicsrules, and look for this, 8-10 lines down:

if ($textureMemory == 0)
seti textureMemory 32
setb textureMemorySizeOK false

change the 32 to 1024, and add a # and a space in front of setb.  Your card has more VRAM than that, but TS3 can only use 800 MB anyway.  The lines should look like this:

if ($textureMemory == 0)
seti textureMemory 1024
# setb textureMemorySizeOK false

Launch the game at least once to refresh the deviceconfig.log.  You'll know it worked if you see a [Found: 1, Matched: 1] next to the card name in deviceconfig, and texture memory listed as 1024 instead of the current 32 MB override.  If either edit doesn't work, please paste that same section of deviceconfig here.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (309 Views)

All Replies

@Sunset_Gossip  Please also start with a fresh copy of graphicsrules.sgr.  Since the entries in it and graphicscards.sgr need to match, it's easier to start clean.  If you didn't save the original copies of the files, you can repair the game in Origin to restore them: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 3 icon, and select Repair.

For the edits themselves, here's what you need to do:

Spoiler

Note:  These instructions only apply to and will only work for the original poster's graphics card.  If you'd like help getting your own card recognized, please post the same information from deviceconfig and ask for help.

Open graphicscards.sgr (Notepad works fine), and crtl-F to search for 10de.  That will take you to these lines:

Create a new line under the "Nvidia" line, copy this text, and paste it in the new line:

So you should now see this:

(with indents from spaces that this site isn't displaying properly).  Save, quit, and open graphicsrules.sgr.  Crtl-F and search for 8800, which will take you here:

elseif (match("${cardName}", "*8800*") or match("${cardName}", "*9500*") or match("${cardName}", "*9600 GSO*") or match("${cardName}", [etc.]

Change the bolded 8800 to RTX 2070.  Don't change anything else, not even the asterisks.  This will classify your card as uber.

Finally, scroll back to the top of graphicsrules, and look for this, 8-10 lines down:

if ($textureMemory == 0)
seti textureMemory 32
setb textureMemorySizeOK false

change the 32 to 1024, and add a # and a space in front of setb.  Your card has more VRAM than that, but TS3 can only use 800 MB anyway.  The lines should look like this:

if ($textureMemory == 0)
seti textureMemory 1024
# setb textureMemorySizeOK false

Launch the game at least once to refresh the deviceconfig.log.  You'll know it worked if you see a [Found: 1, Matched: 1] next to the card name in deviceconfig, and texture memory listed as 1024 instead of the current 32 MB override.  If either edit doesn't work, please paste that same section of deviceconfig here.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (310 Views)

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict  It worked perfectly! Thanks for your help again :D

Message 3 of 3 (296 Views)