Re: [CURRENT ISSUE] Granite Falls Crashing Game Suddenly

by EtteSims

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Granite Falls Crashing Game Suddenly

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Hi there again,

Just sometime in the last week, my game starts to crash whenever I try to change any of the lots in Granite Falls only (Outdoor Retreat neighborhood).

I have tried placing the lot from the neighborhood screen. Tried multiple lots and multiple builds. Every single time, it crashes while trying to place.

I tried visiting the lot in build mode and placing lot. Some placed but then would crash when I tried to go back to neighborhood or save. Others wouldn't place at all.

I'm on a high performance brand new gaming PC, have tons of large lots with tons of objects & lighting with zero issues, this appears to ONLY be related to Granite Falls due to recent updates.

I checked Task Manager and even when it was crashing and refusing to save, The Sims 4 was still only taking up about ~50% of my computer's CPU and ~35% of my Memory.

I found this random link on Reddit with a similar sounding issue, in the sense that it's recent and only related to Granite Falls as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/dyq27n/granite_falls_caused_my_game_to_crash/

Side notes:

I have tried clearing the cache/etc, have restarted computer multiple times, etc.

Game Version: 1.61.15.1020

Packs I currently have: Seasons, Tiny Living, Island Living, Get Famous, Cats and Dogs, City Living, Get Together, Dine Out, Outdoor Retreat, Vintage Glamour Stuff, Perfect Patio Stuff, Luxury Party Stuff, Holiday Celebration, and Ghoulish Guitar.

And yes, I tried removing mods, and have the most recent patch (updated this morning, no change).

Message 1 of 4 (691 Views)

Accepted Solution

@EtteSims  Try repairing the game in Origin: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Repair.

If that doesn't help, please test in a new save, just to be thorough.  If you still get crashes, please move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto the desktop.  When you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't put anything in this folder yet; just start another new save and test.  Let me know whether it works.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (675 Views)

All Replies

@EtteSims  Try repairing the game in Origin: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Repair.

If that doesn't help, please test in a new save, just to be thorough.  If you still get crashes, please move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto the desktop.  When you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't put anything in this folder yet; just start another new save and test.  Let me know whether it works.

Message 2 of 4 (676 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I'm very late to reply, but I saw this was still open, so I thought I should answer!

@puzzlezaddict thank you for this! I did try with a brand new save file and it worked. I used it to test against my own save file, so I knew it must've been something to do with the lots themselves, not just the neighborhood. But it was odd considering none of my lots (in that neighborhood, anyways) were particularly large or unique. And no CC in any of the lots either.

Since it wouldn't let me open the lots to be able to bulldoze them (crashed every single time), I was concerned I might have to scrap the whole save file, which would have been devastating. Devil

So instead I concocted a workaround so that I wouldn't have to scrap my whole save file:

-Saved a completely empty lot from the smallest lot in-game to my Tray.

-Placed that empty lot on each of the lots in Granite Falls, but NOT from the lot view, from the neighborhood view. (Overrides whole lot, can bypass build mode which was what was causing the crash.)

Once I did this, had no issues! Large smile

Something must have been corrupted enough with one of the lots (despite the fact that they all HAD been working prior), that it was causing the game to crash no matter which Granite Falls lot I tried to open (likely due to the open maps).

Hope that helps someone one day if they're ever having the same issue ♥

Message 3 of 4 (281 Views)

@EtteSims  Thanks for getting back to me, and that's a pretty useful workaround.  I've seen other players struggle with similar issues, so I'm sure some of them will find it helpful.

Message 4 of 4 (262 Views)