Good laptop for Sims 4?

by lavahcake

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Good laptop for Sims 4?

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hey guys! I'm interested in buying a laptop that will run the Sims 4 smoothly (with all packs installed) at high settings. After doing some research I came across the ASUS ROG G531GT with the following specs:

Processor: Intel I7-9750H (9th generation)

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

RAM: 8 GB

Storage: 512 GB SSD

Refresh rate: 60 hz

---------

Some additional info:

I will only be using this laptop for gaming since I have a MacBook Pro for my everyday needs.

I only expect to play the Sims 4, but would ideally like a laptop that could handle the Sims 3 with a few packs installed as well. 

I don't use CC and only use a handful of mods.

This laptop is currently $999, but is expected to go on sale for $799.

---------

Please let me know if you think these specs will work for my needs, or if you have any better laptop suggestions! My ideal budget is $500 - $1,000, but I'm willing to be flexible. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 3 (5,144 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Good laptop for Sims 4?

@lavahcake  The laptop you found is a good choice at $1000, and an excellent one at $800.  Asus makes quality gaming laptops, even at the entry level.  The only potential argument against it would be its graphics card.  An Nvidia 1650 would run TS4 and all packs on ultra settings now, and that would likely be true a year from now.  But the way the game is going, later expansion packs may raise the requirements for ultra settings, and you might have to dial things back to high.  That's a little way off though, since a 1050 ti, which is weaker than a 1650, can still manage all EPs on ultra settings, albeit barely.

If you did want to futureproof, you'd need an Nvidia 1060 (6 GB variant) or a 1660 ti.  But those are more expensive, obviously.  The cheapest laptop with a 1060 6 GB that I could find is this Dell, for $800, but the Asus is better in every other way.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-Laptop-G5587-5859BLK-PUS-Anti-Glare/dp/B07CD3MRZD

Much better is this Acer.  For $1000, you'd get the 1060 and 16 GB RAM instead of 8.  The processor is a year older and a bit weaker, but the benchmarks for the 8750H and 9750H are pretty close.  The other downside is that it only has a 256 GB SSD, but you could add a second hard drive of your choice—this model has a user-accessible slot for precisely that purpose.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-Overclockable-Aeroblade-PH315-51-78NP/dp/B07CTHLX8C

To get a 1660 ti, you'd need to spend at least $1100, from the prices I've seen.  One example:

https://www.newegg.com/black-msi-gl-series-gl73-8sd-297-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834155231?Item=...

At any rate, the Asus you're considering is still a great choice if you can catch the anticipated sale.  And all of the computers mentioned here would run Sims 3, with all packs installed, on the highest settings.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (5,124 Views)

All Replies

@lavahcake  The laptop you found is a good choice at $1000, and an excellent one at $800.  Asus makes quality gaming laptops, even at the entry level.  The only potential argument against it would be its graphics card.  An Nvidia 1650 would run TS4 and all packs on ultra settings now, and that would likely be true a year from now.  But the way the game is going, later expansion packs may raise the requirements for ultra settings, and you might have to dial things back to high.  That's a little way off though, since a 1050 ti, which is weaker than a 1650, can still manage all EPs on ultra settings, albeit barely.

If you did want to futureproof, you'd need an Nvidia 1060 (6 GB variant) or a 1660 ti.  But those are more expensive, obviously.  The cheapest laptop with a 1060 6 GB that I could find is this Dell, for $800, but the Asus is better in every other way.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-Laptop-G5587-5859BLK-PUS-Anti-Glare/dp/B07CD3MRZD

Much better is this Acer.  For $1000, you'd get the 1060 and 16 GB RAM instead of 8.  The processor is a year older and a bit weaker, but the benchmarks for the 8750H and 9750H are pretty close.  The other downside is that it only has a 256 GB SSD, but you could add a second hard drive of your choice—this model has a user-accessible slot for precisely that purpose.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-Overclockable-Aeroblade-PH315-51-78NP/dp/B07CTHLX8C

To get a 1660 ti, you'd need to spend at least $1100, from the prices I've seen.  One example:

https://www.newegg.com/black-msi-gl-series-gl73-8sd-297-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834155231?Item=...

At any rate, the Asus you're considering is still a great choice if you can catch the anticipated sale.  And all of the computers mentioned here would run Sims 3, with all packs installed, on the highest settings.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (5,125 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Thanks so much for the advice @puzzlezaddict! I have a couple follow up questions if you don't mind

1) The 1650 card on the ASUS laptop is only backed by 4 GB (not 6), will this impact performance?

2) Does the Sims benefit from anything higher than 60 fps? I know more expensive laptops have a higher refresh rate, but is 60 hz sufficient in this case?

3) Is the processor or graphics card more important when it comes to the Sims? All the models I looked at in my price range either had an older processor and a better graphics card, or a newer processor and a weaker graphics card. Which tradeoff would you consider more optimal?  

4) Are there any laptops in my price range that you would strongly recommend over the ASUS? I want to make sure i'm not overlooking any models that are similarly priced and significantly better.

5) And finally, I considered some ACER models, but noticed a lot of complaints about overheating. I also considered the DELL G Series, but heard it wasn't as good as other brands/models. Do you have any thoughts on this? 

Thank you again! 

Message 3 of 3 (5,096 Views)