Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Gameplay crashes

by amrenthebat

Original Post

Re: Gameplay crashes

@amrenthebat  Okay, but do you have a graphics driver installed now?  When you say it doesn't change anything, do you mean the game still crashes, or that you couldn't install a driver?  Either way, please post a new dxdiag, so I can compare it to the old one.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 11 of 32 (246 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I don't think I installed a new driver. 

Message 12 of 32 (231 Views)

@amrenthebat  Yes, that's correct, there's no graphics driver installed.  Please run a couple of basic checks of your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates.  If anything installs, restart again afterwards.

Next, if you alreaady have HP Support Assistant on your laptop, open it and let it search for new graphics drivers, or maybe new drivers in general.  (I've never used it myself.)  If it finds one, restart afterwards and try playing.

You can certainly download the app if you want, but if you don't already have it, you might prefer not to add it.  (Many people would consider it bloatware, and I at least would never let it run in the background, only if I specifically wanted it to update something.)  Still, you can get it here if you like.

https://www.hp.com/us-en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

If the program doesn't find any drivers, or you don't have it installed, try letting Windows find a new one.  Hit Windows key-X, choose the Device Manager, open the Display Adapters section, click on you graphics chip (should be Intel UHD 620 or similar), and click the black and green Update button at the top of the window.

Message 13 of 32 (211 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Here are errors: 

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
PS C:\Users\asdfgh> DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealthdfg

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.19041.844

Image Version: 10.0.19042.1110

Error: 87

The restorehealthdfg option is not recognized in this context.
For more information, refer to the help.

The message I got: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Message 14 of 32 (197 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I’m not able to see available updates, it just says something went wrong. I also can’t open the HP Support, it flashes and nothing happens. When I go into the setting for it I get a message saying “The system detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in this application. this overrun would potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this application.

Message 15 of 32 (188 Views)

@amrenthebat  Is this a typo, or did you enter this command?

PS C:\Users\asdfgh> DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealthdfg

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.19041.844

Image Version: 10.0.19042.1110

You can see a couple extra letters on the end, and with those, PowerShell won't recognize the command.  If you're not sure whether you entered it properly, please run DISM again, then sfc: sometimes running DISM will allow sfc to fix the corrupt files it previously could not.

Message 16 of 32 (178 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict My bad, like this?
Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.
Message 17 of 32 (165 Views)

@amrenthebat  Given all these errors, I think it would be useful to run a repair install of Windows.  You can keep your files and apps; this is just about creating a fresh version of Windows.  I mean, you could try addressing the errors one at a time, but not only would that take longer, you couldn't be sure you'd covered them all.  This should address everything related to Windows, and then the other issues like the graphics driver should be easier to address.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

When you get to step 13, you should be asked if you'd like to keep your apps and personal files.  If you don't see that prompt, back out and start over.

Message 18 of 32 (153 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I can't do anything outside of safe mode, though. Will it be okay or do I need to do something?
Message 19 of 32 (127 Views)

@amrenthebat  I'm not sure what you mean.  Can you not use your computer outside of safe mode at all, or you just can't play?  And what happens when you try to use normal mode?

Message 20 of 32 (121 Views)
Twitter Stream