Re: Gameplay crashes

by amrenthebat

Original Post

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict If I sign in while in normal mode, I get a black screen that I can move my mouse on and nothing happens.
Message 21 of 32 (481 Views)

[ Edited ]

@amrenthebat  Sorry for the late reply; I was offline for a while.  That sounds like a potentially serious issue, one that makes it an even better idea to do a repair install.  Safe mode is helpful, for sure, but you can't do much in it, including playing games at anything better than the worst possible performance.  If you can't even properly use your computer when not in safe mode, there's definitely a system issue.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 22 of 32 (449 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Don't worry about it, thank you for helping Standard smile. Is it okay to do in safe mode? The page says I will not be able to do it in safe mode.
Message 23 of 32 (426 Views)

@amrenthebat  I hadn't remembered that part of the instructions, but if the guide says you can't run a repair install in safe mode, I believe it.  Instead, try using DISM to repair windows from a mounted image.  In this guide:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Scroll down to "Fix Windows with DISM using install.wim image."  I believe it would work in safe mode, although I'm not completely sure; the worst that could happen is DISM would throw an error before starting.  I also believe that the newest version of Windows would work, as in, the one you'd get through the Media Creation Tool, but just in case, you can download an ISO for your current version of Windows here:

https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php

Choose, in order, Windows (Final), the newer 2009 option, Windows 10, English, and x64.  Like I said though, the newer build you'd get directly from Microsoft is probably fine too.

For downloading purposes, safe mode with networking should work.

Message 24 of 32 (417 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict sorry for the late reply, I went away for a bit. I got an error saying "There was a problem running this tool" when I went to choose a place to save the file.
Message 25 of 32 (383 Views)

@amrenthebat  Did you get the error with the Media Creation Tool or with something else?

Message 26 of 32 (373 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Yes, with the tool.
Message 27 of 32 (337 Views)

@amrenthebat  Then you can try the site I linked.  I don't know why the Media Creation Tool isn't working, but that just suggests even more strongly that there's a fundamental issue with Windows that needs to be addressed.

Message 28 of 32 (314 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict so what I did was I downloaded it from the website and then I mounted it and clicked setup, and then something from Windows opened. It told me I couldn't install it from safe mode though.
Message 29 of 32 (295 Views)

@amrenthebat  The idea, at least at the moment, isn't to install a new version of Windows.  It's to use the Windows image you downloaded as a source for DISM.  It's the part in this link:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

under Fix Windows 10 recovery image" towards the bottom of the page.  The instructions provided show how to create an ISO using the Media Creation Tool, but you now have an ISO from another source you can use instead.  So you're mounting the ISO, as you did, then entering this into DISM:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:X:\Sources\install.wim

where the X after Source is the drive letter that the ISO was given when you mounted it.  Be sure to leave all the other punctuation intact.

Message 30 of 32 (279 Views)