Re: Game wont launch

by SoyokoAnis

Original Post

Game wont launch

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I have purchased an External Hard Drive so I could download the Sims 4. I was not able to download it directly through Origin - Every time I would choose the External Hard Drive folder to download the game into it says that I cannot choose a root directory. So I downloaded the Sims 4 through Steam - everything was going well, i was able to download the game and merge it onto Origin and play with no issues. Now every time I go to play an error message comes up saying that there is low disc space to launch this game (I have 1TB or space on the hard drive) when I click to launch anyways the game crashes about 2 minutes in... I uninstalled and re-installed the game to make sure it was downloaded into the hard drive but it is doing the same thing! PLEASE HELP!!!

Message 1 of 10 (768 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@Rhiannon8228 Your specs may not be able to handle this.

Please send a DxDiag.
https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/
-----
If this helped press +XP to make sure the answer goes out to others.
Message 2 of 10 (759 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice
@Rhiannon8228 Please also try repairing via Origin.
-----
If this helped press +XP to make sure the answer goes out to others.
Message 3 of 10 (758 Views)

★ Novice

I tired that last night to repair the game via Origin and it did not fix the issue at all - I just did the steps for the first thing you sent me and will send it to EA like it asked me to do, hopefully that helps. Thank you!!!

Message 4 of 10 (753 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@Rhiannon8228 Glad I could help.
Message 5 of 10 (721 Views)

@Rhiannon8228  If you're still having issues, please attach the dxdiag to a post here.  We don't have access to anything you upload to EA customer support.

The message you were seeing about not being able to install Sims 4 to a root directory was likely because you selected just the external drive as the install location, not a folder within the drive.  For example, you can't install an Origin game on D:\ (as in, directly on the hard drive), it needs to be in D:\some folder.

@SoyokoAnis  There is nothing to suggest that this person's computer can't handle Sims 4, and saying so without any basis is unlikely to help the player.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 6 of 10 (694 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

ok! That definitely makes sense about trying to save the game directly into the hard drive - I am going to try and make a folder within the device and try it that way. And the above person is kind of right my laptop was not able to handle the game so EA told me to go purchase the external hard drive and then I would be able to download the game 40x if I wanted to. I have 1TB of space and the laptop and hard rive are both new with barley anything on them - so there shouldn't be any issues with launching the game or playing due to space - as I mentioned the game was fine once it was downloaded from Steam (I was able to chose the D:\ to download it into) and I was able to play with no issues. Here is the report also that I ran 

Message 7 of 10 (672 Views)

@Rhiannon8228  Steam does allow games to be installed on a root directory, but that's not a good idea for other reasons, namely that if you want to put more content on the hard drive in question, things can get messy very quickly.

Your laptop is quite weak for Sims 4, that's true, but other people do manage to play on similar hardware.  However, the clear issue is the space on your C drive.  With only 200 MB left, Windows itself doesn't have nearly enough space to maneuver even without your running any other programs.  And Windows will work with what's on C, not your external drive.  While 20 GB free is the usual recommendation, that's probably not achievable given the size of your hard drive.  10 GB should be okay though.

In order to clear up as much space as possible, please move everything you can to the external drive.  Clear out the Downloads folder, empty the recycle bin, whatever you can think of.  Regardless of your laptop's other components, you likely won't be able to play Sims 4, which creates a lot of temp files, unless you can clear at least 10 GB.

You can also move the Sims 4 user folder to your external drive using a symbolic link.  Since the game itself is probably installed in D:\Sims 4, you'll need to create another folder on D first, e.g. My Game Data, so you'd be moving the Sims 4 user folder to D:\My Game Data rather than simply to D.

https://crinrict.com/blog/2020/02/moving-windows-documents-folder-to-external-drive-via-symbolic-lin...

Message 8 of 10 (666 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Well actually, I tried to download The Sims 4 on one of my older laptops and it didn't work. I purchased a new one and it worked fine. I had lots of space on that one.
Message 9 of 10 (654 Views)

@SoyokoAnis  There are lots of reasons that Sims 4 wouldn't open.  Only a few of them have to do with inadequate hardware.  So it's generally more helpful to gather information before coming to a conclusion.

Message 10 of 10 (636 Views)