Game wont get past intro screen

by Mochibunsss

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game wont get past intro screen

★★★ Newbie

Hello,

So I just got the Sim 4 on steam. I start it and it launches the game, however once it gets to the screen where it says "the sims 4", it will just shutdown. You can see what happens here https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/xn7y6c/never_played_before_decided_to_try_it_but_this/ . I've uninstalled and reinstalled origin and the sims. I have tried stopping all background apps and nothing works. Attached is the the DxDiag

Message 1 of 5 (318 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Game wont get past intro screen

@Mochibunsss  First of all, your C drive is quite low on space, with only 8 GB free.  It's not necessarily the problem here, but it easily could be, and it could also explain the several failed Windows updates listed in your dxdiag.  Even if you have Sims 4 installed on D, the game and Windows will dump temp files onto C, and your user data is stored in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4, which is also on C unless you move it.

So I'd start by clearing at least another 15 GB, if possible, although 8 GB should be enough to at least address the Sims 4 issues.  (Windows needs more like 20 GB free to run a feature update.)  This will be useful for the overall health of your system regardless of whether it's related to the crashing.

If Sims 4 still won't load, try uninstalling your Razer software, at least for the moment.  If that helps, you can reinstall it; sometimes that's all it takes to fix an incompatibility between the app(s) and the game.

If that doesn't make a difference, try playing in a clean boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-...

When you reboot, go through the Task Manager's background processes list shutting down anything that doesn't absolutely need to be running.  Anything from RGB software to MSI Afterburner might still be active.  If you accidentally kill the wrong process and it doesn't restart on its own, just reboot your computer again.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (266 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@Mochibunsss    Did you link your Steam game to Origin? How to link a Steam game to Origin - link Steam game   Origin is still the DRM for this game and has to be running. Once linked the DLC shpuld work regardless if Steam or Origin. Steam installs the game differently then Origin. Once linked this should not be a problem.

Message 2 of 5 (292 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, 

Yes the game is linked from steam to origin. I tried starting the game both from steam and origin, and the same thing happens each time. 

Message 3 of 5 (281 Views)

@Mochibunsss  First of all, your C drive is quite low on space, with only 8 GB free.  It's not necessarily the problem here, but it easily could be, and it could also explain the several failed Windows updates listed in your dxdiag.  Even if you have Sims 4 installed on D, the game and Windows will dump temp files onto C, and your user data is stored in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4, which is also on C unless you move it.

So I'd start by clearing at least another 15 GB, if possible, although 8 GB should be enough to at least address the Sims 4 issues.  (Windows needs more like 20 GB free to run a feature update.)  This will be useful for the overall health of your system regardless of whether it's related to the crashing.

If Sims 4 still won't load, try uninstalling your Razer software, at least for the moment.  If that helps, you can reinstall it; sometimes that's all it takes to fix an incompatibility between the app(s) and the game.

If that doesn't make a difference, try playing in a clean boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-...

When you reboot, go through the Task Manager's background processes list shutting down anything that doesn't absolutely need to be running.  Anything from RGB software to MSI Afterburner might still be active.  If you accidentally kill the wrong process and it doesn't restart on its own, just reboot your computer again.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 5 (267 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks, I will try this. Standard smile

Message 5 of 5 (258 Views)