Re: Game won't start

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Game won't start

★★ Novice

i have installed sims 3 and some expansions years ago and played like millions of times so far. But for the past few months when i open the sims 3 launcer and press play the game won't even start. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Message 1 of 10 (861 Views)

@zouzo0nitsa  There are a lot of reasons the game might not launch.  The first and easiest test is to pull your entire Sims 3 game folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  Try to launch the game again, and if it works, that means there was something corrupt in your old game folder.

It's easy enough to start transferring your content from the old folder to the new one, testing each time to make sure the game still launches.  Start with your mods and cc, if you use them, and leave your saves for last.  Here's a list of everything you'll find in your TS3 game folder, including explanations of which files you'll want to preserve:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

If Sims 3 won't open even after you've removed your game folder, please run a dxdiag and attach the results to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 10 (838 Views)

★★ Novice

thank you so much. i will try that and  get back to you with the results

Message 3 of 10 (807 Views)

★★ Novice

so i cut the files out of the folder and paste them on my desktop. Origin started to download some expansions and when i tried to open my launcher there was a pop up window saying that there is an error during the launching and that i should look some kind of list of documented errors or something like that...did i do somethig wrong?

Message 4 of 10 (799 Views)

★★ Novice

These are the info from the dxdiag

Message 5 of 10 (796 Views)

@zouzo0nitsa  What was in the folder you cut and pasted to the desktop?  It sounds like you might have removed the Sims 3 folder in Program Files, not the one in Documents, and that's why Origin had to download new files.

It would also help to know, as closely as you can translate it, what the Origin error message said.

Message 6 of 10 (782 Views)

★★ Novice

Yeah, it appears i had moved the file from the Program Files. I restored that and moved the folder from the one in Documents. The problem though remains. Should i delete the game from everywhere and install them from origin? But if i do that, will i lose some of my games and expansions? some of them are copied files and legally bought games.

Message 7 of 10 (626 Views)

@zouzo0nitsa  I'm not sure what you mean by "copied files and legally bought games."  Anything you own in Origin can be downloaded through Origin, and an Origin install usually also works with original discs.  For other types of installs, Origin won't recognize them, and I can't really help there either.

Message 8 of 10 (619 Views)

★★ Novice

i will try to delete the files all together and re-install them via origin. I can't play the game as it is anyway. I will do that and get back to you about the results. Cross your fingers and pray XD

I have to consider the fact that it might be a problem with my pc and not with the game or origin. If the problem remains after that, maybe a format will do the trick.

Message 9 of 10 (552 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@zouzo0nitsa  Your computer does not meet the minimum requirements. This does not mean the game will not run at all. What it does mean the game may stop working at any time do to a compatibility issue. First the cpu in under

powered. While this should not prevent the game from running you may experience performance issues. The spec fir this game requires you have 128Mbs of dedicated video memory. Your computer has 112Mbs. While this may be close it seems the game uses close to the max at times. The resource is determined by the design of your computer.

Message 10 of 10 (547 Views)