Re: Game won't recognize my video card (Geforce GT 635M)

by LyradCh

Original Post

Hero (Retired)

@LyradCh What game are you trying to play?  Sims 3 plays just fine on my Windows 10 gaming computer - no compatibility mode or anything. I not sure but I don't think DirectX 9.0c and DirectX 12 will run together on the same computer at the same time. If you do get DX9 to install I don't think DX12 will still be active and I like my DX12 games. As DX9 games are less demanding I have an old Windows 7 computer that has DX9 on it. Notice I put a warning in the post. You need to post your computer's dxdiag. Does the flashing happen right away or after you've been playing for a while. First thing that comes to mind is heat is affecting the video memory. If you have a dedicated video card, that memory may be failing. Another issue may be your computer is running out of memory and the flashing may be the texture video memory being swapped in and out of virtual memory. This could be caused by not enough free space on the system drive. Really need the dxdiag to start diagnosing the issue. Most users don't realize their old computer's worth goes down as technology advances. AMD just raised the stakes with Intel with the Ryzen cpu

Message 11 of 13 (351 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@roberta591 I'm trying to play sims 2 , which is the strangest thing as sims 3 works fine for me with everything loading as it should. I don't think it's a memory problem though as I have 16GB of RAM, 2GB of VRAM and set it for 1024mb in the graphics rules. Posted my dxdiag 

Edit : and a picture of how the glitch looks like in game

Message 12 of 13 (341 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@LyradCh The free space is very low and this could prevent the operating system from running some games properly. Running out of memory isn't just the total memory in your computer. You need to think about memory used by the operating system for buffers and other things. DX12 SHOULD cover DX9 but it doesn't. I think if you install DX9.0c (latest version of DX9) your computer will run all games in DX9 instead of DX12. I use my old Windows 7 gaming computer for games that require DX9. Sims 2 was not a very demanding game and you really don't need a very powerful computer to run it. Sims 2 was released in 2004. Windows XP had DX9. You can get DX9 to run on Windows 7 which came with DX11 by downloading the Dx9 installer from Microsoft. Haven't tried it on DX12. Windows XP had an extended run so to play some of these games you may have to put your computer in a time machine and think of computers that ran Windows XP. Most users have only one computer and making some of these changes can downgrade the use your your main computer. Most old out of date computers are cheap and if you mess it up it doesn't put you out of service.   hth

Message 13 of 13 (331 Views)