Re: Game won't recognize my video card (Geforce GT 635M)

by LyradCh

Original Post

Game won't recognize my video card (Geforce GT 635M)

★★★ Newbie

Hi,

I just bought a new laptop. When I try to play Sims 3, the game says it doesn't recognise my video card. I've got a Geforce GT 635M video card, and an integrated Intel HD graphics 4000. Of course I try to play the game with my Geforce, but the video card is not recognized. However, on the Sims website, it says all Geforce GT video cards are supported! I'm running Windows 8 64bit by the way. I've got the latest game updates and the latest Geforce drivers.

What seems to be the problem?

Thanks in advance, I real;y wanna play the Sims again! :cathappy:

Message 1 of 13 (6,835 Views)

Hero

See if any of these links help you:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=481768

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Getting_new_graphics_cards_recognized_by_the_game

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 13 (6,826 Views)

★★★ Newbie
The first link pretty much describes what I already tried. I run the game with the setting that my Nvidia GeForce SHOULD be turned on. It even shows GPU activity in the icon. However, the game still doesn´t recognise the videocard. So then I tried the 2nd link, to manually put the graphics card in the supported Graphicscards list. But this also seems impossible. In order to put my graphics card info in the list, you should consult the Deviceconfig.log file, in which you can find your graphics device information. But instead of showing 'real' concrete graphics device information, it shows up like this: === Graphics device info === Number: 0 Name (driver): TransGaming SwiftShader Software 3D Renderer Name (database): TransGaming SwiftShader Software 3D Renderer [Found: 0, Matched: 0] Vendor: Chipset: Vendor: 0000, Device: 0000, Board: 00000000, Chipset: 0000 Driver: SwiftShader, Version: 29559.2.0.1876, GUID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 Driver version: 1876 As you can see, there isn't a Device ID displayed in the Deviceconfig.log file. So I've got no device information to put in the GraphicsCards.sgr file! I guess that the game doesn't recognise my graphics card at all? The weird thing though, The Sims Medieval has no trouble recognizing my GeForce at all. Maybe you know / can tell me the Device ID that I should have? Again, my graphics card is a Geforce GT 635M. (I don't know whether this will help, considering the game may still not recognise the card, but it's something I haven't tried yet.) Please help me fix this, it's really annoying having a decent laptop and still won't be able to play the Sims
Message 3 of 13 (6,820 Views)

Hero

I really don't know too much about that file. I have never used it myself.

Have you tried resetting the graphic card: http://www.ehow.com/how_4967194_reset-nvidia-graphics-card.html ?

That's all the ideas I have and my suggestion would be to make a post in the modthesims help forum. Much more techie people there.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 13 (6,817 Views)

★★★ Novice

Sorry to bring this topic up again since it's already dead, but i'm having similar troubles getting my video card recognised by the sims 2 with 

Chipset: Vendor: 0000, Device: 0000, Board: 00000000, Chipset: 0000

currently using a Geforce GTX 750 Ti and Intel graphics. I've tried using the NVIDIA control panel to make the sims 2 use my GTX which didnt solve the issue, disabled the intel graphics via device manager which got me a "Application has crashed, application will now terminate." message and other things but things just aren't working.

Message 5 of 13 (1,649 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@kweepaleep  You can find the data you need by running dxdiag - how to run dxdiag

see post below.

Message 6 of 13 (1,644 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@LyradCh You shouldn't disable the Intel graphics as the computer will boot using the Intel GPU to conserve power. You can get the data you need from dxdiag (see above) and you may need to set the graphics driver to use GT 635M for Sims 2 when the game starts. Sims 2 should already be in the Nvidia device driver and setup to use the Nvidia chip. The game should configure itself to default settings if it doesn't properly identify the video chip and the game should run. Sims 2 was a DirectX 9 game. As you didn't post anything about your computer it's really hard to guess what the problem is.

Message 7 of 13 (1,638 Views)

★★★ Novice

@roberta591 I've tried setting the sims 2 to use my nvidia GPU using the nvidia control panel, but based on the deviceconfig log, it just wont recognise either of my graphics cards, with no device name and the earlier mentioned  Chipset: Vendor: 0000, Device: 0000, Board: 00000000, Chipset: 0000. If you want to take a look, i've uploaded the dxdiag and the deviceconfig

Message 8 of 13 (1,627 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@LyradCh First the free space on your system drive is low. While that computer is cute it looks like a laptop in a desktop form (more like a game console) and I don't know the expansion capabilities of that machine (adding storage might be difficult) but like an Xbox One you might add a USB drive to that machine. As you are trying to play Sims 2 a bigger issue is Sims 2 is a DX9 game and Windows 10 is DX12 and DX12 (and DX11) does not play well with older DX9 games. !!!Warning - you will have to change Windows 10 system files for DirectX 9 to work. Here is a link - DX9 on windows 10  I personally play all DX9.0c on an old Windows 7 machine I haven't scrapped yet.

hth

Message 9 of 13 (1,615 Views)

★★★ Novice

@roberta591 Haha, yeah I've got too many things installed on my computer and been meaning to export them to an external hard drive but been too lazy. I tried installing the Direct x9 on windows 10 from the link but it didn't work either, as the main issue that I'm experiencing is when I do play the game, all of the worlds flash purple constantly as though they were missing textures and when I play a family, all of the walls flash red. Note, i've already tried re-installing the game

Message 10 of 13 (1,607 Views)