Re: Game won't load after downloading Sims 4 Cats and Dogs?!

by MoonYuzuki

Original Post

★ Novice

Thanks for your reply!

I'm not to sure how to check my video card or which Game folder to move to desktop, Is it the whole Sims 4 folder?

I've attached my dxdiag and would really appreciate it if you wouldn't mind seeing if the details there can give me some answers.

The mods I had are moved into a folder on my desktop so don't think its CC or mods causing the issue.

From what I could see I've got plenty of GB space.

Also I have downloaded Realm of Magic recently too and checked and it has the same system requirements as cats and dogs but I had no issues with Realm of magic.

Thanks for your help already!!

Message 11 of 21 (462 Views)

★ Novice
@DeathDog08gaming Thanks for replying, I've moved all the mods to my desktop and it still isn't working.
Also wont let me get to the screen with the … to be able to adjust the graphics settings. Frown
Message 12 of 21 (461 Views)

★ Novice
@kreatora Thanks, I realised I replied but didn't tag you. Please see my other message.
Message 13 of 21 (455 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@flossy1611

Your processor does not meet the game requirements, but this should not cause the game to not start. However, this may cause a crash during the game,
Your graphics card is not the best one and to make a mattery worse the drivers for it are old.
Go to manufacturer homepage and look for drivers for your graphics card and Bios
https://www.dell.com/support/home/ng/en/ngdhs1/product-support/product/inspiron-15-3542-laptop/drive...

The worst problem is not enough RAM. 4 GB RAM meets the game requirements but only if your graphics card owns enough memory and doesn't need to use the system memory. However, most weaker cards will want to use system memory. In this situation, Windows and the card when starting the game are fighting for RAM - Windows always wins and the game doesn't start.
The maximum memory supported on Dell Inspiron is 8GB DDR3L
You can add more RAM but there is only one memory socket - so you must replace the 4G with an 8. You MUST use DDR3L memory (DDR3 1.5V will not work).
The second monitor also needs this memory so I would start by disconnecting it.
There are some problems with your Windows Defender check if the latest Windows updates have gone well
https://support.microsoft.com/help/4027667/windows-10-update
But to tell the truth, you should start thinking about replacing this laptop with a better one if you want to play more demanding games.
Message 14 of 21 (437 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@flossy1611   Your graphics unit is integrated into the cpu chip. Typically these are low performers for 3D graphical games. Your computer shows 112Mb of dedicated video memory and the minimum requirement for this game is 128Gb dedicated video memory. I know there isn't much difference but that is the way the video system works. There is no way to change this as it is part of the design of your computer.  While having below minimum specs does not mean the game won't play - what it does mean even if the game does work it may stop working at any time for no apparent reason.

Message 15 of 21 (421 Views)

★★★ Novice
Message 16 of 21 (398 Views)

★★★ Novice
@kreatora I have my windows updated but not the ghaphics cards.If I need to get that updated too I'll go to the intel driver website.
Message 17 of 21 (394 Views)

@MoonYuzuki  It would help to see a dxdiag on your computer.  You can run one and attach it to a post:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

I agree, 4 GB RAM isn't a lot these days, and it's not really enough for Sims 4 to run properly.  But you shouldn't be getting a white screen at launch—low memory will usually cause lag and crashes.  This could definitely be a graphics card driver issue, even if it's updated; or it could be something else.  A dxdiag will cover a lot of possibilities at once.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 18 of 21 (387 Views)

★★★ Novice

Is this it?

Message 19 of 21 (381 Views)

@MoonYuzuki  Yes, that's exactly it, thanks.

There are a few different issues in your dxdiag.  The first is that Windows is failing to update.  Please try to run any pending updates manually.  Click the Windows icon in the lower left corner of your screen, select Settings > Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates.  If there are a number of them pending, it may take several tries to run them all, so be sure to keep clicking the button until Windows doesn't find any more updates.

It's also a good idea to run a couple of checks on your Windows system files.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Now try launching Sims 4 a couple of times.  If it doesn't work, move your entire Sims 4 game folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and try again.  (This will create a clean folder with no content; please don't add anything to the folder until you've tested a couple of times.)  If the game won't run even with a clean folder in place, please run another dxdiag; I want to see whether there are any new errors.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 20 of 21 (368 Views)