Re: Game using incorrect drive for save/mod 'Documents' data

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Game using incorrect drive for save/mod 'Documents' data

★★★ Apprentice

So, 

Just got an SSD recently for W10 speed goodness, but all my games are still installed on the Hybrid Drive (under F:/) out of pure laziness (and lack of space on the SSD). This means that Sims 4 is installed to the F drive. Loading up the game today for the first time since I got the SSD presented me with a blank slate. All save data, custom content, everything not found. I go into the F drive documents where it should be and it's all there. I go into the C drives documents however and it's created a new game data folder in there completely devoid of any personal content. Obviously I don't want the saves, screenshots, mods, anything on the C drive because it's only got 60GB of free storage left and I have a big fat Sims 4 folder. 

So, long story short, how do I set the F drive as the one the game should be reading off? Origin settings provides me with not much, Game Properties AND the ingame settings doesn't have anything either. 

Message 1 of 2 (146 Views)

Re: Game using incorrect drive for save/mod 'Documents' data

@milliemcintyre  Origin doesn't have anything to do with this.  Sims 4 will look for its user data folder in Documents, wherever Documents happens to be, no matter what you do.  So you have two options.  The first is redirecting Documents in its entirety to F, which is fairly simple and supported by Windows.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/74952-move-location-documents-folder-windows-10-a.html

If you'd rather keep Documents on your new SSD, you can also create a symbolic link to point the game to the Sims 4 folder on F.  This guide was written with an external drive in mind, but it works equally well with an internal drive.

https://crinrict.com/blog/2020/02/moving-windows-documents-folder-to-external-drive-via-symbolic-lin...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (139 Views)