Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game unresponsive when traveling

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.48.94.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All EP, GP and SP
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have your sim attempt to travel via being invited to a different location, or clicking on your sims phone to travel.
What happens when the bug occurs? Once the loading screen pops up the game becomes unresponsive and the only way to recover from it is to manually turn off my computer and restart, as it makes my computer unresponsive as well. I am not able to click on anything else that I have open.
What do you expect to see? I would expect to see the game not become unresponsive and continue to load to the next area that my sim intended to travel to.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. This started after I updated my game for the latest EP, Get Famous. I thought it was because of mods, but I removed them and started a new vanilla game and the travel/freeze has continued.

An adjustment to "What happens when the bug occurs?" this last time my game  froze, I was able to click off the game and select task manager to end Sims 4 that way.

Message 1 of 8 (516 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Game unresponsive when traveling

Hero

Hi @Fizzstix

Try resetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps-amp-Known-Issues/m-p/3621199

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

After renaming, repair your game by right clicking on the game in Origin.

Try on a new game with nothing added back first (start new game). If it works, put back your save game and try again. If it still works, you can start putting stuff back.

• Options.ini (or just re-set all your settings manually)
  • Tray Folder
  • Screenshots/Videos/Custom music
  • Rest of the save games (leave out slot_00000001.save which is the autosave and no longer needed - if you still have it)
  • Custom content like clothing, hair, skins, make up ....
  • Mods (one by one, making sure they all still work)

The rest does not need putting back, cause they are mostly cache files that recreate or log files that are not needed for the game.

Your graphics drivers could do with an update as well.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 4 of 8 (456 Views)

All Replies

Hero

Hi @Fizzstix

moving this to the tech forum for troubleshooting

Could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

You can attach the txt file to your post directly.

Have you tried a factory reset on the user files as well ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 8 (496 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I have not done a factory reset on the user files. I don't know how to do that or where those files are.

here is the DxDiag; when I ran it, there was no Run 64-bit DxDiag button to press.

thank you for your help with this issue.. it's been driving me crazy.

Message 3 of 8 (465 Views)

Hero

Hi @Fizzstix

Try resetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps-amp-Known-Issues/m-p/3621199

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

After renaming, repair your game by right clicking on the game in Origin.

Try on a new game with nothing added back first (start new game). If it works, put back your save game and try again. If it still works, you can start putting stuff back.

• Options.ini (or just re-set all your settings manually)
  • Tray Folder
  • Screenshots/Videos/Custom music
  • Rest of the save games (leave out slot_00000001.save which is the autosave and no longer needed - if you still have it)
  • Custom content like clothing, hair, skins, make up ....
  • Mods (one by one, making sure they all still work)

The rest does not need putting back, cause they are mostly cache files that recreate or log files that are not needed for the game.

Your graphics drivers could do with an update as well.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 8 (457 Views)

★★ Apprentice

After going through the resetting steps, things seem to be working again. What caused my game to start having this issue? did you see something in the DxDiag file I shared?

Message 5 of 8 (380 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Fizzstix  There was some errors about Radeon drivers. The FX 8300 doesn't have an integrated video chip and you have a Nvidia graphics card so it is confusing why you are/were getting AMD(ATI) driver errors. Possibly this was causing issues.

Message 6 of 8 (360 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@roberta591 My computer has been having issues with blue screening and rebooting for a while now. I haven't been able to figure out what is going on, but I suspect it has something to do with video. Would those errors have something to do with my blue screening problem as well? Also, often times I have Sims running, either current process or it is in the background on pause while I am doing something else. Can my computer spontaneously rebooting cause corruption in the sims 4 files that got repaired? 

Message 7 of 8 (344 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@Fizzstix  A computer that reboots on its own has an issue and needs to be looked at. Could be a faulty memory module. A faulty cooling fan causing a over heating problem. The fan may be turning but if it is turning too slow the component may over heat. A build up of dirt on the heat sinks. Could be a faulty power supply. You need to look to see if the top of capacitors are bulging or if a brown substance is by the base of the capacitors. This is typical of older machines. I just removed an old Asus motherboard form service. It has a chipset cooler fan that failed (again) and I noticed about 13 capacitors who's tops were no longer flat. This is an indication issues may soon follow. If your computer is using DDR2 memory and is having stability issues, it needs to be looked at very closely. I don't sell my old computers, I scrap them out for pieces. DDR 2 memory is now old tech as DDR 3 is now starting to fade. The only thing you can do is make sure the computer is well ventilated, fans are working as they should, and once a year (or sooner if you have house pets) open the case and clean out the dust. This is a good time to take a close look (just look) for something take doesn't look the same as the last time. It seems like the fan on the video card is over looked as it faces down and not easy to see but it is probably the most important (other then the cpu fan). Once a component over heats it doesn't take long to cool down and "heal" so the computer may work right after a reboot. The computer may work like this for some time before it quits altogether. If your computer is as old as I think it is, it needs a good look over.

Message 8 of 8 (326 Views)