Game unplayable

by yoblack

Original Post

Game unplayable

★★★★★ Apprentice

Experiencing weird lag where the Sim just stands there and does not complete any tasks.  Have to pause and unpause the game many times.  Have updated all drivers, PC is more than capable of playing the game.  Anyone else experiencing this?  Very tired of these issues with non-online game. 

Message 1 of 11 (565 Views)

Re: Game unplayable

@yoblack  Please try repairing the game in Origin: open your game library, right-click on the Sims 4 icon, and select Repair.

If that doesn't help, please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 11 (548 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Didnt work and it says the "download" server is down at EA. Attached is the dxdiag.

Message 3 of 11 (527 Views)

@yoblack  There are a number of Windows update errors in your dxdiag.  It's possible that Windows is pushing through the updates after those errors, but if not, the update process running and failing while you play could account for the performance issues you've described.  Please run a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files.  Here's how:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Command prompt (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, and run any pending Windows updates.  hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the button to check for updates.

Restart again when you're done, and test the game.  If it's still slow, please try a new save in a clean user data folder, to establish a baseline.  Move your entire Sims 4 user data folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything to this folder yet; just start a new save and let me know how it runs.

Message 4 of 11 (511 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddictDid it all. The only msg I got was this: Windows protection did not find an integrity violations.

Updated Windows as well, restarted everything. Went into game and STILL had issues with lag and my characters not moving or doing tasks.  I dont see a folder that says "User Data" but If I move the folder out wont that eliminate all my progressed games?  ALSO  because this is always asked: I REMOVED ALL MODS and STILL HAD THE SAME ISSUE.

Message 5 of 11 (486 Views)

VERY Tired of all these Issues. I want a refund on all the packs I bought.

★★★★★ Apprentice

Really, really tired of this.  The game has been unplayable ALL WEEK.  Im throwing in the towel on this, I have tried everything.  Just tell me how to get my refunds.  Thanks.

Message 6 of 11 (494 Views)

@yoblack  The user data folder is the folder called "The Sims 4" in Documents\Electronic Arts, as in, the one that contains your user data.  That's in contrast to the folder called "The Sims 4" in Program Files (x86)\Origin Games, which contains the game's program files.

And yes, moving that folder will remove all your saves, although you can always put them back later.  The point is to see how the game runs with absolutely no existing user data present.  If it runs well, the problem is something in your old folder; if it runs poorly, the issue is something about your system or about the game's installed files.

You can always try to get a refund if you want.  But Sims 4 packs are generally not eligible for refunds, and the only exceptions are when someone's computer can't run a pack at all, for example people who have to run the Legacy Edition and therefore can't use the newest packs.  And purchases can generally only be refunded within 14 days if the game hasn't been played, or within 24 hours of launching if it has.  But if you want to try, contact EA customer support and ask.

https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

Message 7 of 11 (466 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I moved the folder out and the game runs fine.  Is there anything else I should do now?

Message 8 of 11 (436 Views)

@yoblack  Try copying one of your saves into the clean folder, without any other content, and see how it runs.  Since you're copying and pasting rather than dragging and dropping, you don't have to worry about the effects of the missing mods and custom content—the original will be intact in the old Sims 4 folder.  If the save runs well, the issue was likely a cache file or other issue in the old folder.  But instead of having to sort through all the files in the old folder, you can simply add what you want to keep to the new Sims 4 folder and go from there.

It's a good idea to test any mods you'd like to use separately, since one or more of them could also be an issue.

Message 9 of 11 (419 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

I have done EVERYTHING and the game STARTED lagging ONCE AGAIN.  

Message 10 of 11 (380 Views)