Game suddenly very slow

by Lunapooh

Original Post

Re: Game suddenly very slow

Hero (Retired)

@Lunapooh   I do not recommend trying to run a gaming computer with a 250Gb system device. This may be ok for a student/ business computer but gaming computer require more finite resources. When you install the windows operating system the page file size is created based on the size of the system device. The size of the page file will be different if you had a larger system drive. Games that expandable (with expansion packs) will use more space on the system drive even if it's just data. The user data can be moved off the system device but this requires advanced techniques which I don't advise for a novice Windows user as you need to have a basic knowledge of the operating system to understand what is happening. Next you have dual monitors connected. As this game does some post graphical processing and this may affect performance. Many gamers have complained about performance while having dual monitors. You have one monitor connected with vga 15 pin analog cable. and the other with DVI cable. This is going to increase the load on the video system. Have you tried disconnecting one of the monitors and try the game?  The price of SSD devices is falling. This may be an indication that a new technology is coming and manufacturers are dumping inventory. First installing applications (games) to a secondary conventional drive defeats the purpose of having an SSD as the system device. There is a gain but you loose most of the performance gain while the computer processes the game code. You would probably get better performance getting 2 large 1Tb conventional 7200 rpm hard drives and install them as a raid configuration. You get a performance gain across the board and may be cheaper. The GTX 750 Ti is a little out of date and may not be up to running multiple resource hunger programs on multiple monitors of different technology.

Message 11 of 20 (1,070 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Lunapooh 

I will have a look at your hwinfo log tonight.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 12 of 20 (1,062 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Great idea..  here  it  is: https://youtu.be/vTdNFjztTg8

I ran the FPS  counter in the upper  left hand corner..  seems that im only getting around 4 - 5 FPS . Yes MSI afterburner  is on  and so is Origin, but  I get  the  exact same  results  if they were off, so I  just  leave  them on. 

Message 13 of 20 (1,049 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I moved the game files to the SSD only to see if it  would help.. it did not. The  files are now back on my non SSD Drive. The  system isnt anywhere  near where  it could be  as far as components, but it does  run all the games, apps, etc..  that  I need  at  level  that  is  more than acceptable. The only program that has  issues is  SIMS 4 and this  is only a recent problem, when the  game was installed it  ran fine. no issues at all.. then one day it went from  running well to running so slow its  unplayable.  My daughter plays Overwatch on this same  computer and gets 60+  FPS while doing it. .not sure  why SIMS is having such an issue running.

Message 14 of 20 (1,048 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I also disconnected the non DVI monitor and still had the same results. (Not sure why my replies are not being put under the comment I am replying to.)
Message 15 of 20 (1,047 Views)

@Lunapooh 

Unfortunately the log file is corrupt.

You say Overwatch is still running on this PC with good frame rates? 

Please clear your temp files:

• Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time
  • Into the new window, type or copy & paste:  "%temp%"   (Without the quotes.) > hit "ENTER"
  • Now your Windows Explorer should have brought you to the "C:\Users\>your user name<\AppData\Local\Temp" folder. > Delete all files and folders in it.
    (If some files or folders can't be deleted, reboot and try again.)

Then clear your Origin cache.
All settings in Origin (only in Origin not in the games) are back to default settings after this.)

• Close Origin completely.
    (right click on the Origin symbol in the task bar > close)
  • Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
  • Type or copy and paste "%ProgramData%/Origin" (without quotes) into the new window > hit ENTER
  • Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for the "LocalContent" folder.
    (The "LocalContent" folder must remain untouched.)
  • Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
  • Type or copy and paste "%AppData%" (without quotes) into the new window > hit ENTER
  • Now your Windows explorer should have brought you to your "C:\Users\>your user name<\AppData\Roaming" folder.
  • Delete the "Origin"  folder inside the "Roaming" folder.
  • In the address bar of your Windows explorer click on "AppData".
  • Open the "Local" folder.
  • Delete the "Origin"  folder inside the  "Local" folder.
  • Restart your PC. > test

If that does not help create and attache a new DXDiag to your next post.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 16 of 20 (1,029 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Unfortunately no go with the  very clear  steps you provided. still only getting 5 FPS in game. I have attached  another  DXDIAG log as  requested. Thanks again for  the  continued   support. 

Yes, Overwatch runs great. Here are   the settings  it uses:

Display Mode: Windowed

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (60)Star

FOV: 103

Aspect Ratio: 16:9

VSYNC: On

Triple   Buffering:   On

Reduced  Buffering:   On

Graphics Quality:  High

Advanced : 

Render  Scale: 100%

Texture  Quality:  High

Texture  Filtering Quality: EPIC -  16X

Local  Fog Detail:  High

Dynamic  Reflections:  Low

Shadow Detail:  Low

Model  Detail:  Ultra

Effects Detail:  Ultra

Lighting Quality:  Ultra

Antialias Quality:  Ultra  SMAA HIGH

Refraction Quality:  High

Local  Reflections:  ON

Ambient  Occlusion:  Off

Message 17 of 20 (1,012 Views)

@Lunapooh 

OK, this is a difficult problem because there is little to go on.

You are sure that you followed the clean boot guide by the letter? And you tested the game in clean boot mode?

Did you installed new soft or hardware to this Computer around the time the problems started?
When did you update to the latest Windows build?

Disable Origin in game. (Origin menu top left > Origin > Application Settings > Origin in game > Enable Origin In-Game > Off.)

Go offline and disable your anti virus scanner > Start Origin in Offline mode > Test.

Message 18 of 20 (4,095 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I did  another clean boot as you asked as well as turning off  internet  and  the  lag  was  gone. Believe  I misread  the  instructions for  disabling items and actually kept everything  running last  time. Thanks for  the help! Good  News! While not completely fixed, SIMs 4 will now run on Ultra settings with  60 FPS. The  culprit was having the computer  connected to the WiFi while  playing. I have enabled  everything  else  and everything is working like  it  should. Putting Origin into "offline mode" doesnt help.. only disconnecting the  computer  from the  WiFi network. Is  there something in the  router I  should look for? If  not, thats OK, we  can always  just  turn WiFi  off   while  playing. Thank you and  everyone for  all  of  the  time and  effort  you have  given to help me solve  this issue. I'll let  you know if  I find out  why  the  WiFi  slows  this game  down so much.

Message 19 of 20 (968 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Lunapooh 

Good to hear. You're welcome!

You can look if there is a newer driver available for your WiFi network adapter.

Also restart the Router. (Power cable out > wait 5 minutes > power cable in.)

Other than that you can look if forwarding this ports in the Router will make a difference.

The Sims 4 - PC

• TCP: 1024-1124,3216,9960-9969,18000,18120,18060,27900,28910,29900
  • UDP: 1024-1124,18000,29900

Message 20 of 20 (958 Views)