Re: Game suddenly very laggy

by chiribunny

Original Post

Game suddenly very laggy

★★★ Newbie

Hi i've played The Sims 4 on this desktop in the past but quit playing for a while. I recently re-installed it and its so laggy its almost unplayable. I have a decent computer and i'm able to run any other game perfectly fine (Apex Legends, Overwatch, League) so i'm really confused as to why suddenly its not working :< I've tried everything from lowering my graphics, changing to windowed, changing my refresh rate, turning on v-sync. I removed all mods, re-installed both Origin and the game a million times and repaired. I updated my drivers as well and nothing works! I've attached my dxdiag so if anyone could help i'd really REALLY appreciate it 

Message 1 of 5 (255 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@chiribunny   first you need to post any changes to your computer since the last time you played. Did you try running this game with only one monitor? Dual monitors is a heavy load on the graphics system. Free space on the system drive is low. Games like the sims 4 create temp files as the game runs and this requires free space on the system device for the game and other programs and system applications that are running. I do not recommend a 240Gb storage device for a gaming computer. A 500Gb device would be minimum IMO.

Message 2 of 5 (240 Views)

★★★ Newbie
i tried running one monitor instead of 2 just now and the lag is still there :< i've had the same C drive since the last time i played and it was never an issue. I keep the sims on my D drive right now with 300gb free
Message 3 of 5 (237 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@chiribunny   Windows creates temp files on the system device (CStandard smile. The management of these temp files is very complex and temp file space is a finite system resource. What this means is that the operating system may run out of resources and still have free space. This is due to the way the operating systems creates and uses system resources. There is no one solution that fixes all problems. It is best to give Windows plenty of free space and let it do it's thing. Windows operating system creates temp files when you download files. These temp files may not get removed for some time if ever. This is just one of many issues that bloat the Windows operating system. Unconfirmed a late Nvidia driver is causing crashes. Multiple monitors may be causing issues - try updating or downgrading from the present driver version (to an WHQL version?). Most 3D graphical games are linear in game play. The Sims game are different as there is no completion and theoretically be played forever (there is no conclusion). This game does not run like many other 3D games. How long ago did you quit playing? How much free space was on your system drive when you quit playing?

Message 4 of 5 (220 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I played about a year ago. and not much free space since I had all my other games on my SSD at that time as well. Oh well though idk >_< i guess i just cant play it anymore
Message 5 of 5 (189 Views)