Game size/mouse cursor

by ilovetodance34

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game size/mouse cursor

★★ Novice

After getting my new laptop and installing sims 4 everything was wack. Origin loaded 3 times as big as my screen but I got that fixed from what it seems. Now loading the game up the first time everything on the screen was so small I could barely click the menu icon to exit the game. I changed the UI settings after looking around for a fix but now my mouse cursor in-game is super tiny and it is annoying. Is there any way to fix this where everything is the correct size for me?

Message 1 of 7 (2,464 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Game size/mouse cursor

[ Edited ]

@ilovetodance34  There are a few different issues here.  The first is that Origin doesn't always scale properly on a screen with 4k resolution, as you have.  This can be addressed separately, if you'd like—maybe the settings you used to tweak Origin's appearance are also affecting your game.

Another issue is your DPI scaling.  I understand why you'd want to use the higher setting, given how small everything would look on your screen otherwise, but it might help to use 200% rather than 250%.  Still, you can leave that until later if you like your current scaling; there's no reason to change it unless the other steps don't work.

For the in-game resolution, try switching between fullscreen and windowed or windowed borderless mode.  Use a resolution scaled to your monitor, i.e. anything with a 16:9 aspect ratio.  If you still can't change the setting, delete options.ini from your game folder and try again.  You'll need to redo the edit that changed the size of the UI, but it's better to get the overall game resolution you want first, then play with UI settings later.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 7 (2,386 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)
@ilovetodance34

First, go to this manufacturer page and look for all new drivers for your hardware including BIOS and install it
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/alienware-17/drivers

I don't work for EA
Message 2 of 7 (2,440 Views)

★★ Novice

Most of the drivers are older versions then what I have but I did download ones that would let me. I tried and the mouse was still really small in-game. 

Message 3 of 7 (2,429 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@ilovetodance34

Try to change the resolution settings of the screen in the game options.
Message 4 of 7 (2,419 Views)

★★ Novice

It doesn't allow me to change the resolution in-game I've tried. I changed the uiscale for the files to fix how big the screen was. 

Message 5 of 7 (2,404 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ilovetodance34  There are a few different issues here.  The first is that Origin doesn't always scale properly on a screen with 4k resolution, as you have.  This can be addressed separately, if you'd like—maybe the settings you used to tweak Origin's appearance are also affecting your game.

Another issue is your DPI scaling.  I understand why you'd want to use the higher setting, given how small everything would look on your screen otherwise, but it might help to use 200% rather than 250%.  Still, you can leave that until later if you like your current scaling; there's no reason to change it unless the other steps don't work.

For the in-game resolution, try switching between fullscreen and windowed or windowed borderless mode.  Use a resolution scaled to your monitor, i.e. anything with a 16:9 aspect ratio.  If you still can't change the setting, delete options.ini from your game folder and try again.  You'll need to redo the edit that changed the size of the UI, but it's better to get the overall game resolution you want first, then play with UI settings later.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 6 of 7 (2,387 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I deleted the options file and loaded the game and everything was the correct size. Thank you! The only problem is I have to stay in fullscreen mode and can't tab out or it will distort and shrink other tabs and applications I have open. 

Message 7 of 7 (2,370 Views)