Game runs slow after 30 min

by JckDawson

Original Post

Game runs slow after 30 min

★★★ Newbie

Game slows down after 30-60 min or so.

Hey so ive been having a problem with my sims 3.

Problem is that the game is eating the cpu like toddler a cake,but i dont mind it if it werent for the slow game

i always run my game at ultra speed or "4" and when i launch the game it works fine but after 30-60 mins it starts to skip 2-4 minutes per  2 second which for ultra speed is slow.

I dont know whats going on. 

List what i have tried

1.Disabling Fullscreen optimazations

2.Windowed mode

3.Graphics lowest

4. Playing on SSD instead of HDD

5. Reinstalling the game

I got back to sims 3 bout few months ago so i got meself all the DLC's and the game has been like this ever since so i feel like this is kind of money robbing.

Few years ago when i had a bad computer and only base sims3 with 2 dlcs the game ran perfect, but now even when im making character it takes 30sec to load in all the clothes like when i click on "pants" then 30 sec and boom i can start clicking on stuff again.

heres my specs:

Win 10

Intel i7 7700 3.60ghz

16gb ram

motherboard HP8307

GTX 1070

238GB samsung SSD

Message 1 of 2 (336 Views)

Re: Game runs slow after 30 min

@JckDawson  The game not running at true ultra speed is pretty common, even on high-end machines.  The game engine itself often can't keep up with the pace, regardless of how powerful your hardware is.  This becomes more of a problem as a game session gets longer, especially in a world with a high population.  It's also an issue in certain large or broken worlds, so I'm curious in which one(s) you're playing.

But there are a few things to check, just to cover the basics.  The first is to make sure the game is using your Nvidia graphics card and not the integrated Intel one.  Checking is simple enough:  Go into Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3, open the file called deviceconfig.log, scroll down about 30 lines, and see which card is listed.  If it is the Intel chip, you can force the game to use the Nvidia card through the built-in Control Panel.  Let me know if you need instructions for setting up a profile.

You should also check your in-game frame rates.  Sims 3's fps limiter doesn't work, and a 1070 can throw excessively high rates if not manually capped.  Aside from potentially causing lag, graphics glitches, and other issues, the high fps is bad for your card.  If you've already confirmed your fps is locked to the refresh rate of your monitor, great.  Otherwise, bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "fps on" without quotes; the number will appear in the upper right corner of your screen.  ("fps off" makes it go away.)  Again, if you'd like help bringing down fps, let me know.

CAS will load much faster when the game is installed on an SSD, but it will slow down the more content you have installed, whether clothing from packs or custom content.  Yours sounds pretty slow though, unless you have a lot of cc.  Mine takes about 10 seconds to load initially with all EPs and half the SPs, but no cc.  On my old laptop, with an HDD, it was even faster, but I only had one pack installed.  And there's barely any delay when selecting a specific category.  Is the game folder (the one in Documents) on the SSD too?  That could help as well.

There are other reasons the game might slow down overall, spilling over into CAS when CAS isn't itself the problem.  One is if you're playing in an overloaded or poorly-made world—Isla Paradiso is the worst offender of the EA worlds.  Another is if there's some corruption in your game folder, or even stale cache files.  A good quick test is to move the entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts (you can put it on your desktop), launch the game to create a clean folder, start a new save in Sunset Valley, and play around a bit with CAS.  Let me know whether it makes a difference, and how much.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (313 Views)