Game keeps shutting down / won't open

by chlobat

Original Post

Game keeps shutting down / won't open

★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.71.86.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expansions, all game packs EXCEPT journey to batuu, all stuff packs EXCEPT Paranormal stuff, spooky day stuff, and luxury party stuff, country kitchen kit
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I'm not sure?
What happens when the bug occurs? The game shuts down as soon as I try to open it
What do you expect to see? I open the game and there's a black screen for a moment (typical when opening the game normally) but instead of the game starting with the blue sims starting screens, the window starts flashing as it minimises onto my task bar.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

*I've been having issues with my sims game since about November/December last year. For the most part it's still been playable, although in December I had to cycle through a bunch of different repair options to finally get my game functioning properly (i was having issues with the gallery- nothing too serious just turns out the game didn't update properly and i needed to change my game version to the updated one.

However, since the last game update (25/02/21) my game has barely been playable. I hadn't played since before the update until around March 8th. I tried to open the game and it started with the black screen, but instead of moving onto the sims starting screen sequence, the screen does this annoying flash/glitch as it begins to minimise then fully minimises onto the taskbar. The game still appears open (so on my PC the sims 4 icon will have a white line under it to show the tab is minimised) but when I click on it it does the same thing.

Over the past two weeks I've done numerous things to try and fix my game. I asked in a Discord server for any advice and was told to try and run a game repair- which I did and it worked that day. Opened the game successfully on the 14th without doing anything. Since then, the game has never opened properly.

So far in the last week I have ran 5 game repairs, refreshed my sims 4 files (by that I mean I take out my The Sims 4 file from the EA document, open the game and load a new folder, then replace the empty folders with my mods and saves), I've removed my mods/CC to see if it was an issue with that, and as well as that I've done external stuff with my laptop like updating it and restarting it but nothing has successfully worked to stop this. The game repairs no longer work and nor did updating my laptop, restarting it, or removing my mods. The file refresh I did the other day worked for that day, but the day before yesterday when I tried and today the game won't open (I've done a game repair today).

I've exhausted all of the possibilities to repair the game and I'm very tired of running game repairs, etc. because re-downloading all of my packs takes forever. I really don't know what to do anymore- the game is unplayable! I'm scared that Tuesday's update will further destroy my game and I've funnelled so much of my own money into my packs and time into my saves to not play it anymore.

I hope this all makes sense, but if you need any clarification I will try my best. 

Message 1 of 17 (754 Views)

Re: Game keeps shutting down / won't open

@chlobat  Please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Please also let me know what antivirus program you use.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 17 (737 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi, here's the file from the dxdiag I did.

The antivirus I use is avast- but I only have the free version if that means anything.

Message 3 of 17 (714 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@chlobat I'm having the same issue, started a few days ago. Still haven't found a fix.
Message 4 of 17 (710 Views)

@chlobat  Try changing the Avast settings to allow Sims 4 and Origin.  Instructions are in this article:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2020/10/add-exceptions-to-anti-virus-programs.html

@mmonaco8084  Same question and request to you: what antivirus do you use, and please run a dxdiag and attach it to a post.

Message 5 of 17 (704 Views)

★★ Novice

Didn't work, unfortunately ): Game still shutting down.

The avast method was something i initially tried back in December so I had made exceptions, but I did the other thing that the article you sent offered but it's still not working. 
When the game updates tomorrow I'll see if it fixes, perhaps? Doubt it, though.

Message 6 of 17 (699 Views)

@chlobat  Please disable Origin in-game: hover over your username, select Application Settings, then the Origin in-game header, and disable the option at the top.  Please also move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  If the game loads, a clean folder will spawn with no content.

If that doesnt' help, try launching the game while your computer is completely offline.  You can sign into Origin and put it in offline mode, then disable wifi and/or disconnect the ethernet cable before pressing Play.

If that doesn't help either, try playing in a new admin user account on your computer.  You can sign into your existing Origin account, but don't sync with any other accounds you have, including Microsoft products.

If you'd rather wait to test after tomorrow's patch, that's understandable.  But if the game still doesn't work, please try the above.

Message 7 of 17 (686 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi, I tried both of the first options and they didn't work. Updated the game and it's still broken.

Made a new account on my laptop and tried- the game works so far. However I'm skeptical as the last two times i've done something that has repaired the game, it goes back to being broken the next time I try. The reality also is that it's not at all practical to have to swap accounts every time I want to play the game.

Which isn't your fault of course, but it's very frustrating that a game i've spent hundreds of pounds on won't work :/ 

Message 8 of 17 (653 Views)

@chlobat  I understand why you wouldn't want to keep swapping accounts, but knowing that the new account works while the old does not is useful information.  Please let me know whether the game has the same issues over the next couple of play sessions, and we'll go from there.

Please also let me know whether your main account uses OneDrive.

Message 9 of 17 (632 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello (:

I thought I would let you know that today I tried to open sims from my main account on my laptop. It initially wouldn't let me because origin was running on the other account so I went in and quit origin, then made sure it was running on my proper account and the game opened! 

hopefully it'll continue to work. as i said, the last few things that worked on day didn't seem to work the next, but if it stops working i'll update tomorrow.

Message 10 of 17 (609 Views)