Re: Game keeps crashing

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Game keeps crashing

★★★ Novice

Hi there, 

I have been playing for months with no issues, but now I keep getting a pop up after ten minutes or so saying "The Sims 4 has stopped working- a problem caused the program to stop working correctly" 

I don't play with mods or any cc, and I have repaired the game in origin/ checked for updates. Any ideas? Wondering if this was a computer issue or a game issue. 

Many thanks in advance! 

Message 1 of 14 (735 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@cehhoerr 

Your graphics driver is very old. Please go to downloadcenter.intel.com to update it. You may also want to get Intel support assistant so your Intel drivers are always updated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 14 (708 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks! I did that (had a few updates waiting for me) but the problem is still occurring. 

Message 3 of 14 (693 Views)

★★★ Novice

and I realized it might be helpful to have an updated dxdiag so here that is 

Message 4 of 14 (682 Views)

★★ Novice

Ive heard a few players saying they are having this issue, including me. It started after the latest SDX drop and update. Hope its solved soon. 

Message 5 of 14 (670 Views)

@cehhoerr  Sorry for the late reply.  Your second dxdiag lists new errors related to the graphics driver, and I'd like to see whether HP has a new-enough driver available for your particular laptop—it might work better than the newest one from Intel.  So please go here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/laptops

Enter your laptop's serial number, choose your OS (Windows 11) if prompted, and you'll land on the driver download page for your laptop.  Please link this page; it doesn't have any information about your specific computer, just the overall model.  The reason I'm asking you to link the page is that HP makes it extremely difficult to be sure that I'm looking at the correct support pages without using the serial number as a reference.

Your dxdiags also list a few Windows errors, so it's a good idea to run a couple of basic checks on your Windows system files:

• Hit Windows key-X
  • Choose either “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator),” whichever option is offered
  • Inside the window that appears, copy and paste “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • The system will start validating soon. If it throws an error, please list it here
  • After it reaches 100%, hit Windows key-X again
  • Again, choose “PowerShell (Administrator)” or “Windows Terminal (Administrator)”
  • Inside the window, copy and paste “sfc /scannow” without quotes into the window, and enter
  • Post the message you receive here

Restart your computer, hit Windows key-i, select Update & Security, and click the box to check for updates.  If any install, restart again afterwards.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 6 of 14 (583 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you so much for your response! And apologies for my delay back. 

My work IT person reset my computer (I'm also having issues with google chrome loading). While I was hopeful that would take care of the issue, it didn't. Now, I dont get any warning, the game just crashes with no message. 

For what its worth, I ran the steps that you outlined and got the following message: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

However, after updating and restarting computer, issues still arising. 

Message 7 of 14 (465 Views)

@cehhoerr  I'd still like to see the download page for your laptop, as I mentioned earlier.  Your new dxdiag lists a crash of the Intel graphics driver, and you're using the same very new driver directly from Intel as you were when you ran the second dxdiag.  Since you had your computer reset, I'd also like to check your other installed drivers against HP's download list.

Message 8 of 14 (451 Views)

★★★ Novice

Got it. Is this what you mean by the download page

I can also share a screenshot of my recent HP downloads if that helps, or another dxdiag 

Thanks! 

Message 9 of 14 (384 Views)

@cehhoerr  Yes, that's what I was looking for.  The newest graphics driver HP offers is a little old, but it's worth trying to see whether you get better results.  Since that driver is older than your current one, you'll need to do a clean uninstall first.  Here's how:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/02/clean-re-install-of-graphics-drivers-with-display-driver-uninstall...

Use the HP driver dated March 22, 2021.  While it's not up to date, it may still work better with your laptop than the current one, and if not, it'll be easy to update again.  Restart your computer after installing and before trying to play.

If this doesn't help, then yes, I'd like to see a new dxdiag.

Message 10 of 14 (373 Views)