by sdb3z

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game keeps crashing after installing Toddler Stuff pack

★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Steam-PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.69.59.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Discover University, Parenthood, Seasons, Tiny Living Stuff, Realm of Magic, Spooky Stuff, StrangerVille, Vampires, Cats & Dogs, Nifty Knitting, Toddler Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I'm unsure.
What happens when the bug occurs? After some amount of time (the first time it was probably over an hour, and the most recent time was under 5min), the game crashes without warning. No gameplay issues, but the game shuts down without throwing any error messages.
What do you expect to see? A game that actually works and is playable?
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

I purchased the Toddler Stuff pack during the Steam winter sale and the game started crashing not long after. I uninstalled the Toddler Stuff pack yesterday and was able to play for several hours without incident. See the attached DxDiag.txt file for more details, but the two error messages I saw were "BEX64" and "RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64". The only item from the Toddler Stuff pack that I had used in-game so far was the "seating" item that looked like a stack of pillows.

Message 1 of 5 (402 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Game keeps crashing after installing Toddler Stuff pack

@sdb3z  The strange thing about the BEX errors is that they reference a component of a resource that Sims 4 supposedly doesn't use anymore, the 2013 VC++ runtimes.  That part of the error could be deceptive, I guess, but you can also try uninstalling and reinstalling those runtimes for good measure.  And of course the only way to properly test this is to reinstall the Toddler Stuff pack.

Hit Windows key-i, select Apps, scroll down to the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables, click on the 2013 x86 and x64 bit versions, and select Unintsall.  Don't touch any other versions.  You can download fresh copies from Microsoft here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

You do need both the x86 and x64 versions, but not the _arm version, which is for a different class of device.

Restart your computer before trying to play.

If that doesn't help, try playing in a clean user folder.  Move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything yet; just see whether a new save crashes the way your existing one did.  If the new save runs fine, you can copy over your current save (nothing else yet) and see whether it works as well.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (384 Views)

All Replies

@sdb3z  The strange thing about the BEX errors is that they reference a component of a resource that Sims 4 supposedly doesn't use anymore, the 2013 VC++ runtimes.  That part of the error could be deceptive, I guess, but you can also try uninstalling and reinstalling those runtimes for good measure.  And of course the only way to properly test this is to reinstall the Toddler Stuff pack.

Hit Windows key-i, select Apps, scroll down to the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables, click on the 2013 x86 and x64 bit versions, and select Unintsall.  Don't touch any other versions.  You can download fresh copies from Microsoft here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

You do need both the x86 and x64 versions, but not the _arm version, which is for a different class of device.

Restart your computer before trying to play.

If that doesn't help, try playing in a clean user folder.  Move your entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, and when you launch the game, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything yet; just see whether a new save crashes the way your existing one did.  If the new save runs fine, you can copy over your current save (nothing else yet) and see whether it works as well.

Message 2 of 5 (385 Views)

★★ Novice

Well, I kind of forgot about this issue and never re-enabled the Toddler Stuff Pack. But my partner bought me the Romantic Garden Stuff Pack for Valentine's Day and the game started crashing again as soon as I had installed it. So I uninstalled and re-installed the C++ 2013 Redistributables you'd mentioned and hadn't had any issues with the Garden Stuff, so I re-enabled the Toddler Stuff aaaaand it just crashed again. I'm re-doing the Redistributable thing again, then seeing what happens.

Message 3 of 5 (347 Views)

@sdb3z  Alright, let me know whether it helps.  If not, please try the clean user folder as well.

Message 4 of 5 (337 Views)

★★ Novice

So far, so good! I hope whatever weird glitch this is doesn't happen every time I add a new pack...

Message 5 of 5 (309 Views)